What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rattlesnake Bean soup with onions, carrots and celeriac cooked on top of the stove, for lunch. This year's crop of rattlesnake beans is drying on the greenhouse bench and still in the garden so it was time to use up what was previously harvested. This is how we use dry beans -- in beef broth with other veggies.

We have also been eating pea tendrils, not the sprouts ... You know, that could be a crop for late Autumn in the greenhouse bed, @flowerbug . They could replace the mustard greens and lettuce now in there ... well, the lettuce, I'd guess. It's a first try with those in that little bed near the south wall. The pepper plants planted in there one June were protected from the outdoor cold with no heat and survived for months beyond the growing season. Certainly the mustard greens should make it right through the Winter.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made a small pizza last night and added a small amount of my homemade spaghetti sauce to the top. (I started, as I always do, with a frozen Amy's organic cheese pizza, adding toppings, in this case peppers, onions, sausage, and anchovies.) Then I added a small handful of green beans (I'd thought they were done) along with some of my Candyland tomatoes, that I had reserved for eating, into a little finger-food salad. I still have a dish of summer squash in the fridge, as well as a few zip lock baggies of it in the freezer, and the remainder of the spaghetti sauce is destined for dinner this coming week. For my one little raised bed in a very rainy summer, it's not a bad harvest.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_20230920_154936593.jpg
    IMG_20230920_154936593.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20230920_174746573.jpg
    IMG_20230920_174746573.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
a few hot peppers for brunch added to my chili which i took from the freezer so i can have it today and tomorrow.

later today i'll be cutting up a few winter squash to get some seeds out of them before they can rot. the groundhog gnawed them and so they're going to go bad before i really wanted to cook them but i'd rather try to get something out of them and some seeds if i can instead of tossing them out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... as well as consulting a fabulous book that I had received as a retirement gift a few years ago .
That looks like a good choice for DD's Christmas present.

What am I eating from the garden? Snow Peas! Having them in some ramen noodles while awaiting the rain and watching the radar map animation. The peas had no problem maturing a crop of pods this year. (Seed sown the final week of July.) I've picked pods covered with frost - not the best situation. Frost will also take out blossoms and bring an end to production.

Latest posts