What are You Eating from the Garden?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Having my second breakfast of this new Kellogg's honey cornflakes with the microwaved honeycrisp apple & raisins at the bottom of the bowl and thinking about @Gardening with Rabbits son and his preference for banana bread over zucchini bread and @ducks4you & my carrots ;). No, nothing in my bowl is from the garden :D.

We had carrot cake as soon as the carrots were harvested. A little too simple of a recipe but I've tried another and this one at the Food Network is similar.

I don't think that I would bother with the coconut, just increase the carrots and, yes, the pecans would be good :). Apples and honey ... yes, just checked my old honey carrot cake recipe. It does call for pecans and just uses all-purpose flour. There is still a  loaf of the too-simple recipe carrot cake in the freezer. I'll just put this one here for future reference ;).

Steve
Man, what a memory....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made hamburger vegetable soup and I used frozen tomatoes from the garden and dehydrated onions from the garden. I was going to put in zucchini, but I forgot and I had that the next day as just a side dish. I have found that if I put cut up zucchini in the dish when baking chicken that DS and I both like it a lot. Oh, almost forgot GREEN BEANS in the soup too. I will be eating green beans forever.
I call that Kitchen Sink Soup. Hamburger as the base to make the broth, then I put in everything from the garden but the kitchen sink.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This Morning

the kitchen fills with the fragrance of DW's salsa sauce. Everything spends their separate time in the toaster oven – garlic, shallots, cherry tomatoes, hot peppers, cilantro – before being blended together for sauce and going in the fridge.

:) Steve
Oh that sounds amazing! Last night we had dinner with one of our daughters - homemade shrimp tacos! Her boyfriend made a homemade taco sauce that was so good! It was mostly made with fermented peppers and was medium hot. It was so good! He sent us home with a sample bottle of it. I'm going to put it on scrambled eggs this morning! 😋

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Leftovers for linch: I had the air fryer out yesterday for chicken thighs so DW wanted the salsa for brightening up the leftovers. As soon as I can catch my breath, I'll go wash my plate;).

that was so good! ... medium hot. It was so good!
Liked it, eh ;)?
to cook each vegetable separately
Well, imagine toasting the cilantro at the same time as the shallots. I was surprised by her technique years ago. Anyway, it is a pleasure to enjoy peppers, in my book ;).

Also had gai lan and it has been a regular through 2023. Botanical Interests ... "kailaan" :).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale.

@heirloomgal said that she likes the looks of vegetables in the flower garden. I tried for a picture of a few kale plants with one in front of a hydrangea. I was facing into the sun and the hydrangea flowers were quite a bit above the kale - not so good ... Here I have just turned around and the zinnias are much above the kale, shucks.

kale.jpg
Since it is a good location for a couple of hydrangea plants, you know that it gets plenty of shade. And, the kale is where the neighbor can walk by and see it so -- there haven't been any leaves harvested through the season. It was good for me the learn that one can do that with Scotch kale, harvest right thru the growing season. In a much sunnier location, I once had GIANT Scotch kale plants by first frost with many older leaves that I wasn't interested in eating and wasted space around them.

The Scotch kale harvested thru 2023 are in the little veggie garden and don't look like much. The Portuguese kale and collards out there have been mostly left and are large and waiting for frost. It's dark outdoors right now with Sirius shining brightly in Canis Major while leaping up at Orion in the southern sky ;). We are mostly waiting for some hard frosts to tenderize the collard leaves, especially. Meanwhile ....

zrestore.jpg

:D Steve

Latest posts