What are You Eating from the Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beets!

The entire plant with no roots larger than a marble. That's just the way like them.

Beets. One of my favorite veggies :). And, pea pods from our garden are in the fridge ;).

Steve

fresh beets, lightly steamed or even crunchy. yum. peas/pods rarely make it out of the garden. we'll both stand there and eat them. we r the groundhogs in that case... :) :) :)

i made some lima beans from last year's crop and then ate them cold with yogurt, basil and dill. usually i like to sneak some cucumbers in there too or pickles but today i was lazy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i don't much care, but bleach will get most of it out easily enough, you may have some left over bits around the fingernails.

if you want to avoid stains and bleaching get some food prep gloves.

usually i scrub off dirt under running water. leave skins on, cut away whatever bits that don't look good, quarter and then microwave until they're done enough. the skins are edible, the leaves are like swiss chard. i like it all.

roasted is good too, but takes more time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i don't much care, but bleach will get most of it out easily enough, you may have some left over bits around the fingernails.

if you want to avoid stains and bleaching get some food prep gloves.

usually i scrub off dirt under running water. leave skins on, cut away whatever bits that don't look good, quarter and then microwave until they're done enough. the skins are edible, the leaves are like swiss chard. i like it all.

roasted is good too, but takes more time.

p.s. have to mention this, someone i know called doctor after eating beets because pee was red...

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mother always feed us pickled beets out of a can which I thought was nasty. Once I had to ask a waiter what a side was almost fell off my chair when he said beets.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wouldn't like canned pickled beets, but do like them from the jar. that is always how i make them with plenty of onions.

we're both not eating much in the way of pickled beets the past several years. after making many hundred quarts of them over the years we're both kinda done with them, especially now that my brother can't eat them. we mostly grew them and put them up for him and kept some for us, but after a few years of hardly eating them and then issue with brother came up so last year was it for beets for a while.

i wish Mom would eat Swiss Chard, but she won't touch it. she's very set in her ways and rarely goes outside them when it comes down to food.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If your Mom doesn't eat something does that stop you from growing and eating it ?

not entirely, like the turnips, i grow a few to eat here or there, but she objects to the smell of them cooking so much that i don't eat them very often, since i have to cook them when she's not here. some years i grow chard because i like the plant itself even if i don't eat all of it. if it were perennial it would be the perfect garden plant. colorful and edible. :) chard is too bitter for her.

it's much easier for me to grow things that we both like instead. and any empty spots i put beans in anyways.

Latest posts