What are You Eating from the Garden?

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' I havent grown bloody butcher yet, just looked it up and the origin could also be Germany. But it sounds like a great tomato!

I had never heard of Holland Greens! I doubt it came from here originally. However I will add it to my wishlist

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a little sorry that we don't have Tyfon Holland Greens in the garden. They really should be more popular in US gardens. Those people who may only eat cabbage once in awhile because they think other greens are too bitter, should try Tyfon. Very easy to grow and very mild ...

Steve

sometime i will have to give them a try, do they reseed themselves?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pinetree Seeds says "Tyfon is a cross between Chinese Cabbage and Turnips," @flowerbug .

I'm not sure what that would mean for their seeds but imagine that the cross has been stabilized. The seed is cheap suggesting to me that the F1 cross was many generations ago. You can buy it for use as a cover crop.

In the kitchen, its mildness is so surprising. It looks like it should taste like a kale or a mustard green. It would be funny if it never came from Holland, @thejenx . Might be ...Holland Michigan ... Leyden Massachusetts :),

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pinetree Seeds says "Tyfon is a cross between Chinese Cabbage and Turnips," @flowerbug .

In the kitchen, its mildness is so surprising. It looks like it should taste like a kale or a mustard green.

Steve

THANK YOU! I never heard of this but I think DS will eat this. He like kale and collards, but not cabbage, mustard or Swiss chard, but he will eat Swiss chard picked small. I just went to Pinetree and ordered Holland Greens, Topper Turnips and Royal Crown Turnips.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kale. Lots of it. Need to start dehydrating it now. Nothin' else is producing yet.

Nevermind. I just went out to water and found these pretty veggies. The beans are "Prince" from Russ a few years ago.
b3z7hXP.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Been eating kale, swiss chard, zucchini, blueberries, strawberries, Sun Gold tomatoes, and potatoes. Herbs of course too such as bay leaf, cilantro, chives, oregano, and mint.

Picked my first Early Girl that was half way ripe. I didn't want the rats to get it. They have eaten a couple of my zucchinis.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
strawberries. i'll do a quick scan of the gardens today to see if any are ripe enough to pick. looks like another beautiful day out there. :)

cheers to all garden friends. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must get past environmental envy. It would only grind me down to retiring to a condo with an ocean view.

Orange trees were rejoiced over when we visited far enough south, when I was a kid. I used to stand under an almond tree at the corner of the elementary school playground, fully recognizing what it was, and resent that it couldn't make a crop of nuts. Nutz! You can't weather a tree but you can climate ;).

It's 31°f in nearby Cheney, a community where I once thought of moving to in retirement ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beets!

The entire plant with no roots larger than a marble. That's just the way like them.

Beets. One of my favorite veggies :). And, pea pods from our garden are in the fridge ;).

Steve

Latest posts