What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is so strange, 'listening' to you guys bubbling with the joys of spring when I am starting to hunker down for winter.
Trish, from afar - New Zealand looks like the Cascade Range and Coast Range along the Pacific in North America. The tropical (or semi-tropical) part may be a warmer climate than the California end of those ranges. Of course, New Zealand has ocean on both sides and those N American mountains do not.

I don't know your latitude but you would probably be comfortable anywhere between Vancouver in Canada and San Francisco in California. Wikipedia tells me that the area is about the same, ocean, mountains, inland valleys, rivers, ...

Want to garden 12 months a year?

Steve

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do/did, but not like you are talking about.
I've got half my beds all permanently set up...just in time for winter lol. still I'm eating apples and noticed the that the birds got the first Persimmon for the year. tats a little early, but there are some lovely huge lookers ready soon.
Looks like jack got the pears this year, I only got two.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okra and turkey? Interesting combo. Like both, just never paired them together.
Okra and turkey, Yeah!! Seems like a great idea, Heres what I'm thinking, Deep-fried okra and tomato catsup, breaded fried turkey, sound good huh?

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted lettuce and some other salad greens in containers on my front porch the other day. About a week later than usual, but then it has been horribly cold here, more like January than April.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn you are the expert. How long do you think it will be before I'm eating fresh corn? Maybe a week and half?

In Silk.jpg

This one I'll guess myself, tomorrow.

Green Beans.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Any way. Depends upon how you like your kernels. Is there pollen shed? Usually, silks go dark after pollinated.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Knowing how thick you have them, curious how large the ears will be. & kernel,depth.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll try to post photos. I have the bed divided into 8 different sections. If it is like last year (where I actually had them a bit thicker) the ears from the first three or four sections were very good. Then the quality dropped dramatically. Not sure why. Maybe the heat/humidity of my summer though I'd be surprised if heat was much of a problem with corn. Maybe it had something to do with shading from the older sections though that should have bothered some that it did not. I wonder if too much nitrogen would cause that, I did side dress with nitrogen heavily, especially on the later sections.

Latest posts