What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That rhubarb bread for tea time sounds good. Think that I will make some today, @ducks4you !

Meanwhile, I'm having Lemon Verbena tea after my breakfast. Harvested quite a handful off that potted plant yesterday as it had some new soil for 2020.

Next will be the Catnip (in the neighbor's garden, sshhh). I didn't plant it! In fact, I'm a little disappointed that I eradicated it from my yard years ago. It's not really that troublesome and I have taken out far and away more plants that I've left ... there's only one (at the moment).

I've found that I don't really like Catnip dry as tea. The plant is fairly large and will bloom soon if'n I'm not careful. It's good fresh and it's time for me to learn about its qualities after freezing. Some other herbs are just fine that way - rinsed, shaken, bagged, frozen and pulled out later to go in the cup 😼. Yeeooow

Steve

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Brocolli from our garden. It was sauted with olive oil, salt and pepper. Really good!

Attachments

• 20200512_181454.jpg
    20200512_181454.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 135

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
beans for dinner last night. :) with some cheese and hot sauce on top. something simple that we grew in previous years, dried beans. a made a large batch a few weeks ago and then we put them in quart jars in the freezer so we would have them to eat when we were sick of other things.

today will be nothing from the gardens here as we're just going to make eggs and toast for dinner. homemade bread though, which is always good. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I told you I'd post photos of that too tightly planted corn when I ate some. That was last night.

This first one shows it after I stripped off most of the outside husks and the silk sticking out.
Corn Husks.jpg

This one is after stuck it in the microwave, I cooked it for 90 seconds on high on one side then turned it over and cooked it for a minute and a half on the other side, Then finished husking and silking it.

Cooked Corn.jpg

To me the real test will come in a month. That's when I get into the third batch I planted, It's more "interior" which mainly means more shaded. I plan to side-dress that with nitrogen this afternoon.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I told you I'd post photos of that too tightly planted corn when I ate some. That was last night.

This first one shows it after I stripped off most of the outside husks and the silk sticking out.
View attachment 35548

This one is after stuck it in the microwave, I cooked it for 90 seconds on high on one side then turned it over and cooked it for a minute and a half on the other side, Then finished husking and silking it.

View attachment 35547

To me the real test will come in a month. That's when I get into the third batch I planted, It's more "interior" which mainly means more shaded. I plan to side-dress that with nitrogen this afternoon.
Truly impressed with how nice the ears are. Great job.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Rhubarb Bread and a pot of sauce 😋

IMG_20200513_180225.jpg
The loaf cracked and I didn't have the sugar, cinnamon and walnut topping to hide that. Also made it with whole milk instead of buttermilk. Had planned on using Greek yogurt. DW went to store twice this week. (How's that for social distancing?) Promised to buy yogurt each time, forgot twice ...

We will have it after shrimp and bok choy stir-fry for dessert.

:) Steve

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also made rhubarb bread. I used less brown sugar than called for and 2+ cups of rhubarb. I really do not taste the rhubarb. It’s good. Glad I cut the sugar plus used whole wheat flower.

Latest posts