What are You Eating from the Garden?

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still have capsicums coming along. They went in too late so arent red but still have lovely thick walls and very tasty.

The San Marzano tomatoes have given me lots of beautiful pasta sauce/passata and still there's more ripening.

What do you do with green tomatillos? I have heaps but my recipe is for ripe tomatillo salsa.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we finally used some of the sweet pickles i made a few years ago. i made them mostly to be used in a certain recipe for sweet and sour meat balls. when i opened the pint jar i had to sample a few of course. yep, they're still good! with that much sugar in them they're like candy to me now.

and, yes, i'm having meatballs for breakfast. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I ate a turnip today that I planted last Fall, and survived sub zero temperatures. AMAZING!

Attachments

• Surprise turnip, planted in 2020, 03-29-21.jpg
    Surprise turnip, planted in 2020, 03-29-21.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 109

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
80CCD9F0-397A-4A2A-B4C6-E49B798A6FF0.jpeg
And now, DW has these parsnips peeled. A fresh parsnip smells about 100% better than it looks :D!

Yesterday, we had half of a Kabocha squash. Difficult for me to believe but there was a nice winter squash for baking on the 7th April. Cha Cha Kabocha is a favorite but doesn't always have a good year. ALL the winter squash decided that the season last year was GOOD. That's a primary reason for having this last one so late - many matured well and there was the opportunity to be selective through the winter :).

Pie pumpkin hopes went out the window. Will continue to investigate that field ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still have Scotch and Italian kale along with collards.

Becoming curious just what degree of winter cold a collard plant can tolerate. Certainly, much more tasty than during the growing season.

it was 29°f this morning after a stormy yesterday with lots of hail. They haven’t enjoyed much of a break, yet.

Steve

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still have capsicums coming along. They went in too late so arent red but still have lovely thick walls and very tasty.

The San Marzano tomatoes have given me lots of beautiful pasta sauce/passata and still there's more ripening.

What do you do with green tomatillos? I have heaps but my recipe is for ripe tomatillo salsa.
We have made homemade tamales before using green tomatillos!

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Still have Scotch and Italian kale along with collards.

Becoming curious just what degree of winter cold a collard plant can tolerate. Certainly, much more tasty than during the growing season.

it was 29°f this morning after a stormy yesterday with lots of hail. They haven’t enjoyed much of a break, yet.

Steve
Ours have survived dips into the teens without serious damage.