What are You Eating from the Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be the winter of 2019-20. The warmest winter that I have experienced here in my 50+ years in residence.

This last winter looked like it might be the same but then the thermometer dipped into single digitS' in February. That happens about once every 5 years. Usually, we have at least some below zero temperatures ... there have been extremes with lows colder than -20°.

I hadn't tried overwintering any but Scotch kale until 2019-20. February killed about half of the Italian kale plants and I think the Portuguese kale were gone already. Of course, the Scotch came through but so did the collards. Fine by me - if I can only keep DW from serving it during the summer ;).

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I should add I have no idea how much they can actually take since it hasn’t gotten cold enough to damage them this year. This winter was so mild I was able to overwinter peas by covering them if it dropped below 20. They’ve started blooming now. Very weird weather year it was at least 10 degrees warmer than average.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’ve been munching on lettuce and radishes all week. It shouldn’t be long now before I start getting strawberries and some of the overwintered sugar snaps.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sharing out my Feijoas and apples. There is just way too much for me to munch through.
The last lot of pickled ginger has been a huge hit. This time no soy or fish sauce, just rice vinegar, sugar and salt..and they went pink, beautiful and crunchy. I did say that I wouldnt be sharing these, but couldnt resist taking some up to my daughter. Her husband loved them so much that I swopped a bucket of their Kim Chi for my little tub of pickled ginger buds.

The last of the capsicums finally arrived in the kitchen, along with some little purple potatoes. I can never remember their proper name but they remind me of cat turds- short, narrow and hard to find til you hand hits them.
The texture and flavor-delicious and not at all cat related in any way.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last of the capsicums finally arrived in the kitchen, along with some little purple potatoes. I can never remember their proper name but they remind me of cat turds- short, narrow and hard to find til you hand hits them.
The texture and flavor-delicious and not at all cat related in any way.

hahaha! Mom made some roasted almond and caramel things, but after she got them done she decided she didn't like how they looked so she made them into longer rolls which look exactly like what you say. of course they don't taste anything like what you'd imagine a cat turd must taste like. we've gotten a lot of laughs out of them, but are struggling to come up with another more respectable name for them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must focus too much on words. There are things that I don't want in the garden because of unappetizing smells. But also, I'm repelled by names.

@Trish Stretton , fingerling potatoes can be fun and especially tasty. I became kinda committed to early varieties of potatoes because of how they can fit in my succession planting schemes. Fingerlings all seem to be very late except one - La Ratte.

DW has her quirks also. One is that all potatoes should be peeled. She likes potatoes and is willing to peel even the fingerlings!

Steve
linguistic relativity

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must focus too much on words. There are things that I don't want in the garden because of unappetizing smells. But also, I'm repelled by names.

@Trish Stretton , fingerling potatoes can be fun and especially tasty. I became kinda committed to early varieties of potatoes because of how they can fit in my succession planting schemes. Fingerlings all seem to be very late except one - La Ratte.

DW has her quirks also. One is that all potatoes should be peeled. She likes potatoes and is willing to peel even the fingerlings!

Steve
linguistic relativity

one of the chores i do here is to peel potatoes and also to check peeled hard boiled eggs for bits of shells that she's missed. i will also peel eggs too if she is doing a lot of them. this morning i let her do them since i got stuck doing the 10lb bag of taters...

i much prefer potatoes with the skins on, but in recent times wherever Mom has been buying them they are often green and showing signs of other improper storage so they have to be peeled and checked carefully for internal problems.

i'm not sure what causes the internal black color that looks like mold to me, but perhaps it is just cold or heat damage? all i know is that it looks too wrong to me to ever eat it. yesterday as i was peeling potatoes one of them had a lot of rot on one end so i cut it away, but i didn't notice that the rest of the potato had rot all the way down through the middle. when Mom cut it up to get it cooking that was found and rejected. the worms will take care of it eventually...

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didnt bother to peel them, just gave them a jolly good scrubby and then steamed.

oh, 3 capsicums left after tonights dinner...yet more 'fingerlings' in mayonnaise along with a sort of cooked salsa made up of my onion, tomatoes and capsicums. That went onto a nice juice steak that actually had Fat!!!! ...and some of my Kim chi with a bit of bought hummus to tone it down a bit.
Dessert was an apple straight off the tree.

Latest posts