What are You Eating from the Garden?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Soup? Garlic? Carrots ? All that with onions and parsnips and THESE:

View attachment 54032

No potatoes this time with pasta, instead. I could have had the other ingredients in the picture but none are so dramatically ... uh ... homely. As the Celeriac ;).

Steve
They look like shrunken heads :eek:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is hilarious Steve. I think you should try making yogurt next.

By the way, I was cleaning out the freezer and figured it was time to deal with the bowl of tomatoes that I had tossed in there back in October. I let them thaw just a bit, and then the skin was easy to peel off. Then I put them in a pan with some salt and roasted them, draining off the liquid (they were floating) and cooking that down separately in a pot on the stove. When they were done I stirred the roasted tomatoes in to the caramelized liquid, and I got about 2 cups of thick sauce. Tasted pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_20230112_125714825_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230112_125714825_HDR.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20230112_073714456.jpg
    IMG_20230112_073714456.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 59

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
fermented green beans, @Branching Out ???

I bought Dad a beer making set-up for his 70th birthday. Of course, I wanted to be involved. When he turned 80, he decided that he wasn't willing to go to all the bother so I took the apparatus home. My first batch was sooo bad that I dumped it.

A couple tries at sauerkraut was just as disastrous. I tried to make pastrami, not quite a fermented food but still - it didn't turn out anywhere near kosher!

I figured that I just didn't have enough culture for these sorts of things. But then, I wanted to try wine. My idea was to come up with a recipe for using produce from the garden ... after about 5 years, I had an okay production of rice and raisin wine going. It seemed foolproof. But then, I realized that neither the grapes nor the rice were from my garden. Furthermore, there was a ton of stuff on grocery store shelves that was a heck of a lot better than what I was bottling. And, there was no way to get Dad back into beer making ...

Steve
I used to make Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Chardonnay as a hobby. Quite fun! It was always very satisfying sitting back and listening to the airlocks bubbling as the wine was coming along! I've also recently made blackberry mead as well as hard cider. It's all good!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
all good!
Yay!

I made apple cider twice. First, just fine, second something went wrong.

Making more seemed like a worthwhile effort because it's my understanding that cider was very, very commonly made during colonial times. One thing that seemed likely was that the apples used weren't what we would now think of as good eating apples. That, in itself, might have made for a difference in the cider. I was curious to try and looked for "wild" trees, which were seen quite regularly when I was out and about. Unfortunately, I never found any with more than a hat-full of ripe fruit.

Elderberry wine was a cinch but the problem was that the berries were ripe during my busiest time with garden harvest.

BTW. @Pulsegleaner is a mead maker.

Steve

Latest posts