What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I planted kale plants. I think I made a mistake and planted too close. I usually plant 6 inches apart, but usually 2 long rows. This time, I planted 3 ft wide and it is 6 inches between plants and 6 inches to the next row. I saw a picture in Joy of Gardening with kale planted wide row. I guess I could harvest some later and thin the rows. They really look nice and healthy.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a shocking turn of events....I actually stated my seeds this week. File that under the "better late than never" category! Spring took such a long time to get here- I just couldn't get motivated (and my greenhouse was snowed in!)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am planting nothing outside, ground stays to wet to get garden ready!! :-(

@4grandbabies, Maybe next week your garden will get a chance to dry out. I think our forecast is clear for the next week, after Saturday. So yours should be, too.??
I used to wonder why some of these old gardeners around here would till and prepare their gardens in the fall. Now I know. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a little behind, too!

Today some of the onion starts will go out ... because the tractor guy finally showed up to till the big veggie garden!

I was ready to "end run" him. Which means, cultivate and plant in a place where he really doesn't need to do the work. That hasn't worked out so well since it pushes the onions off on the periphery where they can't win the battle against the neighbor's grapes & raspberries!

Finishing the planting of the dahlia garden yesterday kept me from subjecting the poor little onions to that again.

Steve

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've been having 60 degree days and 40 degree nights since January so everything here is so out of sync!

Just finished planting the herb annuals and redoing some of the perennials this week. Need to get tomatoes in the ground sooner than later but just started tilling in the cover crop in those beds. Planted the "early Spring" garden a couple of weeks back which I should have done end of February/early March!

Again, since it's been so early this year with the warmer weather I feel more of my time has been to controlling growth rather than starting new stuff! I have nasturtiums growing everywhere, the fava beans are nearly 6 feet tall, and I've been pulling volunteers from all over the property since February!

Getting it together.

Carlos

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Didn't plant anything yet, but I did change oil in tiller and then went and tilled.

First time in 4 years I could till in forward. I'm gaining on this hard piece of dirt. I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED!!!!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got my tiller repaired and back, ready to go. Son used it in the front yard where the geo-mess was made. Getting closer to 'normal' there.

Now, I really need to get an oil filter and change the garden tractor's oil. A number of casual suggestions have gone un-heard or un-acted upon. Think I can still do an oil change? We will know by Tuesday.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
In a shocking turn of events....I actually stated my seeds this week. File that under the "better late than never" category! Spring took such a long time to get here- I just couldn't get motivated (and my greenhouse was snowed in!)
@lesa, i've felt the same way here. got my tomatoes started earlier this week. i started a few colder tolerant stuff a few weeks before that and they are all sprouting in my laundry room and doing nicely. been tempted to move the trays outside to get them adjusted to outside light & temps. then the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants will get their spaces on the laundry room shelves with their own heat mats for some time. i probably won't move the tomatoes, peppers & eggplants outside to permanent locations till beginning of June this year. with the weather as cold as it had been this year i was depressed spring & warm weather wasn't coming.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted Sweet Ann peas, 2 rows of sweet corn (don't expect them to survive but nothing ventured, nothing gained), cabbage and spinach.

Latest posts