What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing in the ground outside yet, but dh used the neighbors big tiller and tilled up my three different vegetable gardens. That in itself (dh tilling) is worth celebrating! He said he would help me this year and he's off to a great start. I could just sit and look at that beautiful dirt all day!

Peas are going in this week.'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally planted some more pea seed!

I still haven't gotten to any special peas (@Pulsegleaner ) or the favas (@TheSeedObsesser ). In fact, I'm right over where the tractor guy has to come back and till. I had word today that this might not be for another 2 weeks. That's sorta okay ... it'll give me an excuse to do some of it "right" -- with a spading fork ;).

I think I'm alright for time, so far. The thing is - the peas and trellis have to come out by mid-July so that the ground can be used for greenbeans. Special bean seed (@marshallsmyth ) will have to go in sooner so as to allow for mature seed.

This just might be the final night with freezing temperatures!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It froze fairly hard this morning but warmed to a very nice day :).

Carried the boxes of gladiolus corms up the basement stairs and out they went to the garden. Lots of sale-priced glads went in, also. Sowed some beet seed but forgot my white beets!

Tomorrow, risking some of the bedding plants.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted some coleus and Kentucky Wonder pole beans. I still have to plant sweet peas for the second time and find space for a crooked neck summer squash.

Mary

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finally planted some more pea seed!

I still haven't gotten to any special peas (@Pulsegleaner ) or the favas (@TheSeedObsesser ). In fact, I'm right over where the tractor guy has to come back and till. I had word today that this might not be for another 2 weeks. That's sorta okay ... it'll give me an excuse to do some of it "right" -- with a spading fork ;).

I think I'm alright for time, so far. The thing is - the peas and trellis have to come out by mid-July so that the ground can be used for greenbeans. Special bean seed (@marshallsmyth ) will have to go in sooner so as to allow for mature seed.

This just might be the final night with freezing temperatures!

Steve

That's alright! The earliest will produce while the late ones will wither away when freezing temps come.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
FINALLY planted a bed. I have a 2 ft bed surrounding my cement cistern on the south side of the house.
On the west side I planted: lettuce, carrots, marigolds
On the south side I planted: spinach, carrots, marigolds
On the east side I just planted 100 white onions. I am buying cabbages tomorrow to put in there, too, this weekend.
Terrible luck last year with sugar snap peas. I SWEAR that the rabbits and squirrels ate them, Soooooo, I started them in pots on the south facing ledge of my screened/windowed in east facing porch. 18 are up. I'm going to let them grown out of the the makeshift plastic pots before transplanting. The have outgrown their plastic covers and now I have to mist them everyday.
I planted pansy's and gladiolas in some flower beds. Had a long list, but it will have to wait until Friday, when I am home again...waiting on the Vet for usual shots, etc.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gardening season has officially begun for me...potatoes and onions in the ground! Always happy when that happens! Both planting areas plowed (gotta love that tractor)... Need to kick the chickens out of the main garden, so I can get planting in there. Yay, Spring!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
24 cabbages have been put to bed. They have been caged bc of the rabbits, with chicken wire. Hope it holds. Also tilled in compost on one of my flower beds north of the garage, that had compaction. Pulled weeds, shoveled out some bulbs, all sitting in water in a bucket. Planted hostas, red begonias with dark leaves, and 2 columbines.

Latest posts