What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I began sowing seed for fall greens.

They might be for transplanting into the winter greenhouse but I don't think so. This has been such a hot summer, I have trouble imagining frost showing up while those plants are still small. I will continue to sow a little seed each week right into August and see which ones I can enjoy from the garden and which ones I'll need to rescue for the greenhouse.

For now, I'll post more on what I'm sowing on my "Summer Greens" thread.

Steve

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm sowing more peas tomorrow. Green Arrow aka Hurst's Green Shaft aka Green Shaft and Goldersbe.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really?!

Green Arrow has all those names? I like to have it every year. However ... while there were a few Oregon snow peas and a few Sugar Snaps, the Green Arrow plants failed completely. That has never happened before .. :\.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Weeding some, harvesting cabbage, collards, used some of my celery in soup yesterday, there are potatoes ready, a few peppers, cherry tomatoes and a couple of regular tomatoes, lettuce still going, onions growing, pole beans are climbing, harvesting cucumbers and a lot of squash. I am trying to decide what to plant for fall. I was coming to see if digitS has planted any fall seeds and there is his post lol. What did you plant yesterday, Steve?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job, @Gardening with Rabbits !

As a first sowing, just a few seeds for Asian greens (link) are in the ground right now. I will get some snow peas planted this month. Maybe they will produce something in September. They can't do much worse than those vines that went through our record heat ...

We should have someone who overwinters spinach tell us when to get those seeds in the ground, hmmm?

;) Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really?!

Green Arrow has all those names? I like to have it every year. However ... while there were a few Oregon snow peas and a few Sugar Snaps, the Green Arrow plants failed completely. That has never happened before .. :\.

Steve
You bet it has even more synonyms than that I just listed the most common ones for USA, UK and Australia.
How big did the plants get before bad things happened?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good job, @Gardening with Rabbits !

As a first sowing, just a few seeds for Asian greens (link) are in the ground right now. I will get some snow peas planted this month. Maybe they will produce something in September. They can't do much worse than those vines that went through our record heat ...

We should have someone who overwinters spinach tell us when to get those seeds in the ground, hmmm?

;) Steve

Overwintering spinach, I would love that! Off to look at the Asian greens link.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You bet it has even more synonyms than that I just listed the most common ones for USA, UK and Australia.
How big did the plants get before bad things happened?
They were about 45 centimeters, Hal. After surviving most of the warmest June in 125 years, they really hit the wall during the last few days when the thermometer went above 42°C!

The peas might have been able to recover a little but July 15th is my self-imposed last day to sow bush beans. As of today, with it's cooling sprinkle just before noon, that bed is well stocked with Jade bean seed.

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They were about 45 centimeters, Hal. After surviving most of the warmest June in 125 years, they really hit the wall during the last few days when the thermometer went above 42°C!

The peas might have been able to recover a little but July 15th is my self-imposed last day to sow bush beans. As of today, with it's cooling sprinkle just before noon, that bed is well stocked with Jade bean seed.

Steve
42°C would be brutal for most if not all peas.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought some golden wax bush beans 50 days, baby choi, yellow Swiss chard 50 days. I am planting tomorrow with some lettuce and whatever else I can find in my seeds. I picked blackberries, cucumbers, Bloody Butcher tomatoes and some cherry ones. I saw 1 pole bean and will look tomorrow. They are flowering. I am going to try to clean up the garden and mulch as much as I can tomorrow.

Latest posts