What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday DH put his tomato seeds in a labeled baggie with a wet paper towel. I did the same with sugar snap peas.
I Had planted my salad bed a week ago with garlic, onions, spinach, lettuce and radishes, but the 50 mph wind gusts midweek TOTALLY dried them all out (except for the bulbs), so I re-planted more seeds this morning, soaked the bed thoroughly and double covered with clear, heavy plastic. I had to use 6 bricks and two cinder blocks to keep the plastic down. If we get some more strong winds I will add some 2 x 4's on the top--it's in a raised bed. :barnie
I'll check on them in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first day in a veggie garden. The beds had been cultivated last fall and only needed a little work. The soil is wet but we were able to stay on the paths.

The sky was overcast and it was 40° outdoors but had been warm enuf to leave the greenhouse. At the little veggie garden, it snowed for a few minutes when we first arrived.

Then, the sky begins to clear and the sun breaks thru repeatedly until we can get through just what we need to do and get back to the greenhouse. Three hours and it was 47°f for an afternoon high. Most of the clouds are back :rolleyes:. Fairly comfortable in the greenhouse, plants all seem fine but it hit 89° while unattended. Dang. .

Potatoes, the onions going in as sets, and 1 bed of peas planted!

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Taters are up. Others planted in the compost bin have a way to go, but at least they are under cover.

Got all my sweet onions planted...don't have an exact number but used about 3/4 of a 1000 seed packet, first putting them properly spaced in homemade seed tapes. Garlic in the ground. Planted my first rows of lettuce and carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas, radishes, spinach, asparagus.

Got some roses planted. Peonies are just coming up, peach trees are in bloom.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm planting peppers in damp paper towels this weekend. The onions are growing like crazy (indoors) and need to be cut back.

I started some early greens, -maybe too early. They could go in the hoop house, but only until late May, when the tomatoes and peppers go in there. They could go outside, but not for another few weeks. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but they can't stay in here much longer!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first day in a veggie garden. The beds had been cultivated last fall and only needed a little work. The soil is wet but we were able to stay on the paths.

The sky was overcast and it was 40° outdoors but had been warm enuf to leave the greenhouse. At the little veggie garden, it snowed for a few minutes when we first arrived.

Then, the sky begins to clear and the sun breaks thru repeatedly until we can get through just what we need to do and get back to the greenhouse. Three hours and it was 47°f for an afternoon high. Most of the clouds are back :rolleyes:. Fairly comfortable in the greenhouse, plants all seem fine but it hit 89° while unattended. Dang. .

Potatoes, the onions going in as sets, and 1 bed of peas planted!

Steve

I have been walking in circles trying to figure out where to put potatoes and peas. Finally made up my mind and DS and even DH (DH very little tilling) got the spot about ready for potatoes and I will get the peas and potatoes planted in the morning.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm planting peppers in damp paper towels this weekend. The onions are growing like crazy (indoors) and need to be cut back.

I started some early greens, -maybe too early. They could go in the hoop house, but only until late May, when the tomatoes and peppers go in there. They could go outside, but not for another few weeks. I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but they can't stay in here much longer!

I have had about the same problem with tomatoes and peppers, but finally have some sun.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am going to be so sore. NO, lol, I can feel the soreness already. WOW. I went nuts today. Carried out plants, moved plants in the sun, out of the sun, then dug up 10 blackberry canes that have spread into the garden, walked around and around, trying to SQUEEEEEZE them in somewhere. I put some of them around the big compost bin. I hung clothes on the line. I put Zoup out in the pen. She is 5 years old and then had to chase her around and finally caught her. DS held her upside down and I got her nails trimmed and did the same with Snickers. Weeded the herb garden. Trying to decide where to plant strawberries. Started some bok-choy and also some beets and spinach in flats to move to garden later. I saw a video about it and looked interesting. Transplanted 30 tomato plants.
Zoup 5.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got some radish and beet seed in the big veggie garden now that there are some beds ready. This might be the "Year of the Beet," what with seed and transplants - white, yellow, gold, red!

Today, the temperature may be pushing 80°f. Last year, we must have had a near-record warm spring. It was 58° on this date. I think it will be best for me to take a break from tilling the big veggie garden and hang out in the shady corner of the little veggie garden. The beds were well prepped last fall and the leeks could go in there. Also, some lettuce starts are ready to go out.

I've got things to do here at home! The last of the tomato seedlings came out of their community container and into 4-packs, yesterday. I still have more peppers to move and some of the eggplant are poopsy doodling along. Oh, and I better check on @marshallsmyth 's Safeway Cluster!

Meanwhile, the oldest tomato plants are racing each other! They need to go in larger pots! Where will I put them?!

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everything cold here, so not much happening in the garden....some spuds are up but got frosted, rhubarb is up, radishes are up, strawberries are just sort of dormant.

The seeded plants are showing sprouts! Maters are coming up and the peppers have sprouting but it's not above the soil yet.

Latest posts