What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
:smack we have 3 ft of snow I have not planted any thing this month this week today or next week or the week after :tongue :somad :hit :hit
Get thee to WalMart and get a grow light and plant something inside! It will make you feel soooooo much better.
I have peppers, lettuce and tomatoes all growing in the basement. :)

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
momofdrew said:
:smack we have 3 ft of snow I have not planted any thing this month this week today or next week or the week after :tongue :somad :hit :hit
Get thee to WalMart and get a grow light and plant something inside! It will make you feel soooooo much better.
I have a root cellar with a dig floor but the temp down there at this time of the year is about 50 which is too cold... I have a light set up down there that I used to use...I am planning on using it this year but it is tooo early to start seeds in the house 4 - 6 weeks before last frost is months away I need to by a heat pad for plants Johnny's seeds has them in the catalog... :hit

dirt floor sorry

NoSpringChick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
henrietta23 said:
sebrightlover said:
Reinbeau said:
[
I've only got you beat by .2 acres!
...but I just don't seem to be inspired enough.
My .4 ish acres is on a hillside that is like this / too :)

My house sits in the middle of it.

My hubby said he'll be happy IF I actually put the garden in, less to :mow! :gig

Re: the blog ... I could never get into doing a blog online before I started my poultry one. And it was inspirational!
My veggie garden is on the slope behind our garage which faces south. We have beds built so it is sort of terraced. It all started because DH hated to mow that slope!
I would love to see what you did to your sloped garden....do you have pics to share. Right now my garden is on a hill and my back is getting too old to garden on a slope...I know I need to build it up with terraces, but I really don't know what material to use. I do have plenty of rocks, but that is also back breaking. Any cheap alternatives?

rosajrms

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
"I know I need to build it up with terraces, but I really don't know what material to use. I do have plenty of rocks, but that is also back breaking. Any cheap alternatives?"

Would boxes filled with lazagna type dirt and compost work? You could build horizontal rows.

I'm trying boxes. We are wet here, so, I cut some holes in big plastic garbage bags, but a box in each bag, tuck the back inside the box and fill. The best boxes are free from the liquor store.

It's still too cold here in western Washington, but I have put in arugula, corn salad, spinach, kale, lettuce and peas in the boxes. I do have some garlic coming up.

Best of luck to you

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
setter4 said:
momofdrew said:
I have a root cellar with a dig floor but the temp down there at this time of the year is about 50 which is too cold... I have a light set up down there that I used to use...I am planning on using it this year but it is tooo early to start seeds in the house 4 - 6 weeks before last frost is months away I need to by a heat pad for plants Johnny's seeds has them in the catalog... :hit

dirt floor sorry
Start spme pansy seeds. They go out really early and I think they need 10-12 weeks before they go out!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
setter4 said:
momofdrew said:
setter4 said:

dirt floor sorry
Start spme pansy seeds. They go out really early and I think they need 10-12 weeks before they go out!
that is a good idea I have never tried pansies I have always bought them at a greenhouse...

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ha found this thread.. LOL

Each one is in its own row.. each row has 6 pods..

Tomatos
Porterhouse hybrid
4th july hybrid
giant oxheart
russian persiommon
Chico III tomato
spoon tomato
yellow lemon

Peppers
sweet macaroni red
jalapeno
Hot mix x2 rows
Banana pepper

Legumes
Lima Bean x2 rows
Green Bean x2 rows
Pea x2 rows

Gourds/Squash
Yellow crookneck squash
Zuchini Squash
Birdhouse gourd
Long neck gourd
cucumber x2 rows
artichoke

Herbs
Basil, Sweet basil
Flax x2 rows (aparently its more of a flower)

Flowers
Colombine
Shasta Daisy
Blackyeyed susan

Most of these were planted on 2/11 in little jiffy peat pods the kind you soak with water to get them to expand.. I have 198 of those right now..

I made the mistake to keep the lid on in our humid weather.. and there is a little mold on one flat.. is that a major problem.. it is just a tiny bit I uncovered them?? I am going to post this on a new thread so that I get move views.

But I have more seeds comming in the mail from the swaps so I need to get some more of those pods..

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm planting English Peas this afternoon. I got some bamboo to make teepees and wrap with string so they can grow all around. I hope it does not get too cold here anymore. It is supposed to get below freezing one night this week but not very much below freezing. I'm sure the peas will be fine.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My potatoes are sprouting! That's about as good as it's going to get here for a couple weeks... Then, I will start all my seedlings inside once I'm back from vacation.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Put in about 50 feet of peas-alaska and green arrow. Wow that dirt is kinda cold on the hands. Planted around 25 feet of spinach too-Noble I think it's called.