What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
country lady said:
Anyone else have a problem with shamrock? I am digging out and sifting a 4' x 10' raised bed because shamrock has taken over. It is a vegetable bed; how shamrock got there is a mystery. I did have it in my flower bed and it is awful to get rid of. I also had a problem with monkey grass; I hate it and it still pops up sometimes! The variegated didn't do that.
Not much planting going on here after I got the spuds in . . . just, never-ending transplanting in the greenhouse. The weather isn't cooperating for outdoors.

I'm thinking you might be talking about Oxalis rather than a three or four-leafed white clover, country lady. Most clovers aren't too serious a garden weed altho' Black Medic isn't the best plant to have in the lawn and flower beds!

Oxalis is on my greenhouse floor. In fact, it is a common greenhouse weed and grows, here and there, under trees outdoors. Do you have a garden in a shady location? Oxalis mostly likes compacted soil and shade. Denying it both should get rid of it.

Can't help you with "monkey grass" - don't recognize the term.

Steve

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I myself will be planting peas and so more things. We had over 2 to 3 inches of rain a few days ago so i'm happy i waited to get the peas in, if i got them in before that much rain i think it would of killed them.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We thought spring was here in the desert. We planted peas, carrots, onions and red potatoes and beans. All are up but the beans. Oh! I planted cantaloupe and cucumbers but did them in peat pots to give them a head staert. It's good thing we did....we had a winter storm Wed. but all we got out of it was wind, wind and more wind. I had covered the tomatoes thank goodness. Today I went to a local plant sale by one of our garden clubs and bought some calla lily's, a cactus in bud and a fruiting mulberry tree about 3 feet high and some salsify. Then I bought marigolds, petunias and stock and two more tomato plants only to come home to find a weather alert on the computer. We have another winter storm due in Sunday and rolling into Monday. They say up to 4 feet of snow for the mountains at 6000 feet, which we need for out water table and snow levels down to 4,000 for everyone at that level. More cold winds and hopefully some rain for us but don't guess I'll be planting anything tomorrow.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spring has hit Indiana. Dug horseradish, planted potatoes (wasn't going to but some sprouted), peas, carrots, radishes, spinache. Started some cabbage & pepper seeds inside.

Also planted 50 garlic plants.....many times that in garden to be transplanted if I want to. Wish I knew someone close so I wouldn't have to till them under.

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put in some spinach (it's a bit late to plant it here, but I'm hoping to at least get some baby spinach out of it), cilantro, and watermelon. Transplanted the last of my tomatoes as well.

CrestedHorizonPoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We finally got in our garden. It has been really wet here. We got in potato, radishes, onions, spinach, lettuce. Not long after that we got rain again!

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My peas survived the torential rains we got last week! I've got two sprouting today. Of course, they're in pots which helped them dry out a bit. I put in Red Fire lettuce today.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm re-planting some Lupins, Cukes, and Pumpkins into bigger pots plus I'll be planting some lettuce in the next week or so, onions and potatoes today.

And I just sprayed my fruit trees... No one told me to wear a cover suit, so now I'm orange LOLLL

Oh Oh and my PEAS are sprouting! Weee! I even saved some from a cat dig up, grr...pesky barn kitties

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Today I put the raspberry canes in the ground . . . the ones I bought at the store this past week :) Might be a bit early but they are ready to go! I also used last year's tomato cages to put a bit of a fence around them and protect them from our dogs, who tend not to notice things like baby plants when they're running around! It seems to be working for now. So now I have 4 viable raspberry plants, 2 Latham, 1 Heritage (which is also suckering, thank goodness, its main cane doesn't look real good), and 1 unknown variety I got from a friend, which can't wait to start growing.

I also harvested at least 50 gallons (I quit counting when I hit the 10th 5gal bucket full) of compost from the city 'yard waste' lot that's close to me. Dang. That stuff was in a pile at least as twice as tall as I am, and I really had to work to get it loose enough to fill a bucket. But it's wonderful, grade A rich, black compost. And all free!

Then I dragged it all home! Tomorrow evening, or possibly this week sometime, I am going to side dress my herb garden and my strawberries, but save most of it for preparing the big ol' veggie bed (6ish feet x 25ish feet), a good 80% of it hasn't had any soil amendment for probably 20 years, and the soil is pretty clay-y.

We are about to hire a tiller for the day to get the soil turned over and the compost turned into it, and I need to start attacking the veggie plot to shovel out the (very) established weeds.

Oh yeah, and sometime this week I'm also going to put chamomile seeds in the herb garden!

Whitewater