What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ooooh... I'm not going anywhere any time soon!

We did get a few watermelon and tomatoes this year... as well as some eggplant, and peppers. I have an entire bed full of radish that I planted with the beans to keep the bean beetles away... it worked a little too well... mostly radish and hardly any beans!! LOL I then thought I would let them go to seed so I could collect the seeds... yeeeeeeah.. then they were just EVERYWHERE!!!! It was a disaster! LOL

The one thing I wish I could get to grow is my stinkin pumpkins!!!! Vine borers... every time! I do have a nice luscious green patch where I burnt the infected pumpkin vines earlier this year... LOL

Hubs and I are already prepping for spring. We're collecting newspapers and cardboard boxes to lay down and once we get all the weeds cleared, lay them on top of the soil and let them set. I guess we will see how well the 2 "bare" beds work out. Hopefully we get some stuff! I might see if I can get some straw and put that in there with them as well... maybe... I dunno yet. We've had a REAL problem with those rolly polly pill bugs! "They" say that they don't eat live matter, but I beg to differ!!! I seen them all over my seedlings when I started them in the house from our own compost!

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Careful with the straw...it often has a lot of weed seeds in it! And with the paper/cardboard, you don't even need to clear the weeds...the lack of sun will kill them for you :)

This is our first year with chickens, so I'm really hoping they'll do most of the garden prep for us. We have a portable coop/run which we move around in the yard every 3 or 4 days, but for the next move, we're going to just turn them into the garden area and let them have at it till a month or so before planting. When we clean the coop, we'll just scrape it all directly into the garden as well. Come about April, we'll move them off it, throw in some good fresh compost and till it all in. It's already got buckets of bunny poo piled back there, so I'm hoping the girls will dig it in nicely for us :)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking of making a 4x8 tractor and put the chickens in those for a couple days over top the beds... Dunno yet tho.. LOL

The reason that we're trying to weed first is because there are LOTS of roots and whatnot in there right now from the weeds growing up in the beds. I don't think covering they in newspaper and cardboard will help THAT situation. :(

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You're right about Jacksonville. I was back for my granddaughters wedding last October and I noticed all the changes. A tornado had gone through an area where my daughter lives and we saw the damage to that. When I lived there (left in 1989) I lived in a 75 year old house on a dirt road just outside of Maysville. The house is still there and looks as good as new. I have a granddaughter that lives in Havelock also and a grandaughter and grandson in Hubert. I'll be going back again next October if all goes well.

I just had a friend bring me several clumps of tall bearded iris and some medium bearded iris and a huge clump of daylilies. They do well here in the desert. I have an iris bed with about 80 irises so I can always use more. Another friend brought me a 3 foot elm tree that was a seedling she didn't want and also a white lilac bush. I noticed this morning that my clematis is blooming again and I have a stray morning glory blooming. I haven't had any for a couple of years so that seed was doemant for a long time. It's climbing up the fence and is a pretty purple.

I have two more watermelons left in the garden and four or five butternut squash. My tomatoes are setting fruit again since it's cooled down but I doubt that more than one or two will ripen. I'll make fried green tomatoes if they stay green/

healthysmile143

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Today I'm going to see a doctor for our health as I today I'm feeling not well with my Health. Oh! I forgot to tell you that I've also to know more about my pimples why these often troubles me?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing today, but I am planning for spring. The last thing I planted was some garlic a few weeks ago. I am going to try winter sowing in milk jugs. I will start seeds in my little greenhouse in the kitchen in Jan. Also, we are turning the swingset into a greenhouse.

desertwillow

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I planted garlic and onions a week or so ago and they're coming up. I'm going to transplant my blueberry bush after Thanksgiving and then I'll tackle the bearded iris. I'll be planting the ones a friend gave me before she moved.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I planted spinach and purple sprouting broccoli in milk jugs. I am not sure I am planting this broccoli at the right time. I had some I started late this summer and had them in the garden growing and would have had broccoli this spring, but the neighbor rabbits got loose and ate them. I have more milk jugs read to plant in. I have never tried this, but thought it might be interesting. I will plant more tomorrow.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted a couple of rows of giant red mustard and some small headed cabbage yesterday. I like the small cone shaped cabbages. Just the right size for one person.

Latest posts