What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I started spinach seeds aGAIN, but they are under the gro light above the fridge and on top of a heated mat. I took 2 "to go" containers, sliced holes on the bottom (clear lids), and cut a larger all black "to go" container in 1/2 so that each had a drainage container. The previous batch turned moldy and died. This was the advice on Mid American Gardener last week, to put drainage holes in your seed start containers.
Also, I moved the knick knacks off of the rounded shelves to the sides of the kitchen window, which faces full south and full sun. I moved my Opal Basil pots there and they seem to like the direct sunlight. I also moved some white curtains in front of the window. I had 4 panels elsewhere, the cats had ruined two of them, and they look nice there And they reflect the overhead flourescent lighting. We will see how they do, along with the leek seeds sprouting there in repurposed plastic containers.
I don't worry about the 4 pots with aloe on the very top shelves. They are babies from an original plant that my MIL (1920-19982, RIP) kept and my DD's wanted me to keep it alive and going. They don't seem to mind low light OR going bone dry.
Pictures AND a new 2020 thread soon...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also, I moved the knick knacks off of the rounded shelves to the sides of the kitchen window, which faces full south and full sun. I moved my Opal Basil pots there and they seem to like the direct sunlight. I also moved some white curtains in front of the window. I had 4 panels elsewhere, the cats had ruined two of them, and they look nice there And they reflect the overhead flourescent lighting. We will see how they do, along with the leek seeds sprouting there in repurposed plastic containers.

I have a south facing kitchen window with white curtains. I have a shelf there that I could put plants on. I should figure out a way to have indoor herbs there.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm planting daydreams. :) ...

nsct.png

Fair

13°F

-11°C

Humidity70%
Wind SpeedSW 13 mph
Barometer30.48 in (1033.5 mb)
Dewpoint5°F (-15°C)
Visibility10.00 mi
Wind Chill-2°F (-19°C)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The onion seed was already in flats in the unheated greenhouse several weeks ago. It's been warm in there and requiring ventilation during recent sunny afternoons. First year since we have been doing this that it hasn't been necessary to move them back or under cover for a few nights to keep the soil from freezing.

Celeriac, leeks and snapdragon seed went in last week. The snaps are in the kitchen.

Joining them on top the fridge yesterday, peppers! I don't know if it's a mistake to sow the seed so early, or not. I bet that it is a mistake not to up-pot them beyond the 4-packs since they are in their starting mix so long. However, I never know how long it will take the seed to germinate.

This won't be the first time this year that I will be sprinkling pepper seed on the mix. Sometime this week, it will be tomato seed --- they will end up in 4" pots before going out to the garden ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one time that I sheared the onion seedlings, I regretted it. However, what I regretted more was having missed the right sowing date. Shearing them was likely the best choice for that flat. Buuutt, how is a person supposed to know what the weather will be like weeks and months ahead of time. I've not been forced into that corner with the leeks @ducks4you .

A couple dozen tomato seeds went into the soil mix, today. These are the ones latest to mature fruit. It's probably not the best that I could do in giving the lazy, slow beauties a headstart. I could supplement the sunlight that they likely won't have enuf of over the next 2-3 (4!!) months. Nah, I won't be putting a light out in the garden for the sun-lovers if we have the too common misfortune of June Gloom.

@Gardening with Rabbits was commenting on a forecast of high-50's for an afternoon this week. That will be the warmest so far this year buuutt, we've had nearly a dozen winter afternoons when the thermometer has topped out above 50°f. And, all this midwinter sunshine - it doesn't seem possible to have a gloomy June.

Steve
eggplant soon and, not only the onions but the snapdragons are showing their little heads above ground :)

Latest posts