What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i planted a million bunching onion seeds in my worm buckets. i buried the chaff deep from sorting the onion seeds out, but i did not go through and make sure i had all the seeds out of the chaff.

yesterday i was putting some food in for the worms and noticed that all of those seeds are sprouting. the worms are going to love them. :) they seem to love any garlic or onion bits i can put in with them. i suspect they love the sulfur compounds.

when i was digging through those onion sprouts were all tangled together into clumps of mixed white and green threads and yes, i could smell that they were onions. if i'd have been thinking and had some potting soil and space on hand i could have done some transplanting... nope... at least that was a sure sign that those seeds i harvested last summer were viable. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Broccoli Raab & Mustard greens.

The first seeds into a garden bed.

However, those beds are covered with plastic film ... which protected them from this morning's snow shower.

:) Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Inside sports for planting right now. I started leeks, but they may have gotten waterlogged OR potbound, I'll have to check. If I can they will be transplanted this weekend OR start over. I started red onions, kohlbari (3yo seeds), red cabbage, I have 1 genovese basil still alive, but 12 inches tall, I have about 8 opal basil 2-3 inches tall, I need to transplant five 8 inch tall lettuces and 5 Brussels Sprouts, the only 2019 survivors, but they are itching to produce and they will be transplanted this weekend, too. 1/2 of the spinach I started in a greenhouse on the porch are growing, 1/2 not. Still a success bc you get a lot of spinach from one plant.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It has begun

IMG_20200327_170804.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE burning wood!!
Yesterday, I planted big boy beefsteak tomato seeds from 2020 package. I had a spiral grocery store cookie tray that was black on the bottom, clear top. I had filled it with used coffee grounds. It is downstairs on top of a heat mat and under my 4 ft LED pink gro light. I will check on them in about a week.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am This year. I started garlic in them and a few other plants. Yea, I have starter soil, but I Was throwing the grounds and the filters in my burn barrel, but the grounds would never dry out. Now, I am saving the grounds and tossing the used filters in the burn barrel. They Do dry out to burn. I have thrown a bunch of the grounds into a garden bed which will eventually break down. I am sure that since I make 12 cups/coffee every day for DH and myself that there are a LOT of used grounds without a purpose and the uses later this year can be to topdress and to mulch around other plants. They are NOT that acidic---try using them to make coffee twice, very weak--AND there are NO seeds at All in the grounds to compete.
I like that they will hold moisture but roots can easily grow in them.
It must have been 10 years ago, but me and Wifezilla were keeping a thread going about using coffee grounds as a growing medium. I think that we decided that they would need to degrade to be used as potting soil. We also discovered that coffee beans don't keep all that long, maybe 6 months if you freeze them, whereas tea bags, properly stored can be rediscovered a decade later to be enjoyed then.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I throw them into garden to break down-or worms to get a caffeine high....

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My season has finally started. I began planting peppers yesterday, and will finish today. All peppers will be seed crops this year. Because much of my seed is overdue for renewal, I'm starting everything which is 5 years old or older. This will be 108 cells total, more than I actually have space to plant - I will focus on the varieties which have the poorest germination, then on those which will be used for salsa (which are tagged X2).

Bacskia (sweet) 2012
Bea (hot) 2014
Beaver Dam (hot) X2 2012
Elephant's Ear (sweet) 2014
Greygo (sweet) X2 2012
Italian Cheese (hot) 2015
Korean Dark Green (hot) 2015
Parker Heirloom Pimento (sweet) 2015
PI 315008 (hot) X2 2016
Pizza (hot) X2 2012
Pizza Sport (hot, a breeding project) 2018
Red Belgian (sweet, new trial) 2020
Suptol (sweet) 2009
Taltos (sweet) 2013
Vinedale (sweet, new trial) 2020

I'm concerned that my 3 favorite varieties (Beaver Dam, Greygo, and Pizza) all are way overdue for renewal, I hope they have not died in storage... all had OK germination last year. Since these are all getting started a couple days later than normal, maybe a few coffee grounds added to the soil would help them catch up? ;)

Latest posts