What aren't you growing next year?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll skip leeks this year. About the only way we use them is in leek and potato soup and I've got enough of that canned to last us another year.

I'll skip fennel and probably cilantro. My wife does the major menu planning and wants me to grow these, but she never uses them. They are a total waste of space and effort for me.

I'll skip the pole lima beans. They just don't produce for me. I'll go back to bush limas. They were successful a couple of years back when I grew them.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
seams that a lot of people including myself are not growing roma tomatoes.
no hot peppers as well planted 6 different types last year have enough dried to choke a horse. even planted the ghost pepper still haven't put the tp holder back up..lol

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not growing yellow wax beans. I like them, but nobody else really does. I am not growing orange tomatoes. I am going to have red ones. I am not planting winter squash. Nobody likes it and it takes up too much room. I would rather grow sweet potatoes.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Lemon cukes... grew like crazy...more than anyone wanted to eat and turned to mush when pickled... good flavor but just too mushy.

Will focus more on winter squash... I turned my storm cellar into a root cellar... and just finished my last winter squash... so I want it full next fall...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
May not grow eggplants. I'm only one who eats them. I can only eat so many

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not growing Corn I keep trying but I dont get a anything for the amount of space I use...my family keeps bugging me to do corn but not this year...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am chewing a knuckle wanting to say something! . . . or, some 7 things :rolleyes:.

Sweet corn? It is one of the most important reasons for me having a garden! But, it does take up room. I know what you mean about eggplants. Fortunately, DW will eat just a little but doesn't really care for them in a casserole. Lemon cukes are one of the most prolific veggies I grow! They are so nice and crisp just as they round out in shape & before they turn yellow. Sweet potatoes!?? I hope you will be happy with small ones, Gardening with Rabbits. That's all I've been able to accomplish in our neck of the woods. I know what too many hot peppers mean. As I get older, sweet peppers mean more and the hots, less! Leeks?! I just chopped up the last of mine and made the most oniony soup! It was great - and so were all the bowls of soup I've had since the leeks were harvested.

Cabbage? I would really like not to grow it. So often, the aphids get into the leaves something terrible. It depends on DW. She does things in the kitchen with cabbage and seems to especially appreciate Savoy-types. At least, I seem to be able to hit the aphids a little better with soap spray on those . . .

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm giving kohlrabi a pass this year. Not sure what else since I still don't have my seed list finalized yet :barnie

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is my problem, some things--eggplants, chili peppers--I'd only grow 2 plants but I have to buy them 4 to pack. 2 won't take u much room but 4--too much. Last year chili's came 6 to pack. Same with certain tomato plants

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Here is my problem, some things--eggplants, chili peppers--I'd only grow 2 plants but I have to buy them 4 to pack. 2 won't take u much room but 4--too much. Last year chili's came 6 to pack. Same with certain tomato plants
How do I say this? I've been known to not plant every plant in a pack. It does take self-discipline.

Latest posts