What Did You Do In The Garden?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a wonderful day in the garden today. My husband helped me clean up the front yard. We resorted to scorched earth tactics for the weeds in the driveway, and my son trotted around with the hose putting out any steaming areas.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday I ALMOST got all of the burdock behind the barn. I hit a mass of them, now 4ft tall and nothing is growing underneath them. I got most of the piles moved out to the burn pile in the north pasture. The weather has moderated, 82 yesterday, so it was a lot easier to do ANYthing outside. Lots of okra and lots of corn and lots of cucumbers are up. I put out an old above the toilet storage, kinda like this, but rusty:
https://www.wayfair.com/Wayfair-Bas...MI14CX6-qk1QIVCbjACh3RZQc8EAYYAiABEgKQsPD_BwE
on it's back, and planted the cucumbers around it so they can climb. It's pretty lightweight, so I put a cinder block on one side so strong winds wouldn't blow it away, and two of the grey pumpkin seeds I planted inside of the cinder block are up.
YES, I did get my camera out to take pictures, but I need the time to figure out how to post here. Sorry, but it was never easy for me to do this, so you'all will have to wait.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Been working so no yard work for two days. I have a bunch of okra up, more corn up, more various squashes up, tomatoes growing fine, but I haven't seen many brussels sprouts. I watered the bed deeply after the last rain, then covered with old straw from cleaning out the barn loft, but I am afraid many seeds dried out in the recent extreme heat.
SOOOOO...I went out on a quest: find brussels sprouts seeds in July!!!!
YOU try it---there aren't any!!
ExCEPT, I found ONE PACKAGE of (BURPEE) Brussels Sprouts at Menard's Garden Center!!!!!!! :weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee:weee
I started the seeds inside this morning. I had an oval plastic leftover package from Cracker Barrel that has an opaque lid. I have 1/2 a bag of starter soil that holds moisture and filled it with that to the rim and I carefully planted about 25 seeds, misted heavily returned the lid (which sits up an inch and a 1/2, and put it on top of the refrigerator.) I read that it should take 8-12 days for the seeds to break the soil.
I am treating These seeds like they are an endangered species.
***little Brussels Sprouts seeds hiding from extreme weather conditions--:hide**

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled weeds in paths ... of which, there ain't much.

Oh, there are weeds. It's just that there ain't much pathway to the paths! This may be the last use for the tiller and I was only able to squeeze into about 10% of where it would have really helped to go. Tuff work, tho - some of the paths are packed like asphalt!

Harvested another third of the spuds. These were all Red La Soda and looked better than expected. I guess that the 3 weeks since some were taken to be creamed with the peas has allowed them to balk up nicely. DW was so excited to be out there finding them ;). I realized that she has never helped me dig potatoes before. "Oh, they are sooo pretty!" Again and again.

Picked the first of the Jade beans. Nice to have them with lunch but the tender little things could have been given a few more growing days.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am starting to pick tomatoes, squash everywhere and the beans are growing. I have to finish digging the potatoes. The kale and collards are really nice and peppers everywhere. I have one squash that is supposed to be light tan colored, but the color of acorn and looks like an acorn, so I am not sure if it was just a random seed in the package or all the plants will be acorn. I have been watering and weeding and not much of that.

Latest posts