What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just an FYI--I put (non seed) burdock mulch right next to my tomato transplants and found it was drying them out!!! :ep
I am replacing it right next to them with composted stall mulch, which contains poo, and soiled bedding (from 4 month + ago) bc I saw that next to my peppers THAT kept THEM from drying out. Just something ELSE I have learned this summer.
I got 1/2 an hour of burdock sawing done before the soaking rain this morning at 9AM. It's still too wet to run my extension cords so I'm heading out to garden, instead. I have been interrupted 3 days in a row to get up at 5AM and put in the several hours it will take, rain, an early morning loan modification (1 1/2 hrs. round trip, but 8AM was cool) and the rain this morning AND we are still under a Heat Advisory until 8PM tonight. I missed taking a few loan signings but all of them have meant 2 hours round trip driving and I think I have avoided a possible tire blowout since the pavement is hotter than the temperatures in the 90's, so it's all good.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It didn't rain much this morning, so the ground was dry enough to use my scuffle hoe. I conquered the last row and a half of weeds! :celebrate I am weed-free!! :ya

Had to run a couple lines of cotton twine to support the zinnias, which got too leggy. I thinned them down to every 12-18" and will pinch them back when I cut the first blooms.

Storm went north of us, so I kept on working til I was done. Made for a weird, peachy sunset.
20170722_205410.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not much, but I did brave the heat and humidity to pot up the last of D-I-L's seedling flowers. I put them in pails and hung them from the garden fencing. Hopfully, they will climb along the fence and cover it in flowers. And, I can still mow along the fence.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
It didn't rain much this morning, so the ground was dry enough to use my scuffle hoe. I conquered the last row and a half of weeds! :celebrate I am weed-free!! :ya

Had to run a couple lines of cotton twine to support the zinnias, which got too leggy. I thinned them down to every 12-18" and will pinch them back when I cut the first blooms.

Storm went north of us, so I kept on working til I was done. Made for a weird, peachy sunset.
View attachment 20865

LOVE that pic, Journey!!! Please enter it in the P of the W??? Such a lovely light.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes @journey11 that sunset should be entered in the POW contest. Oh Boy @Beekissed I know all about THOSE friends and relatives. Happy to get fresh vegetables without the work :(
It has been very hot and humid here. So about all I managed to o is get out early yesterday and bring in way to many cucumber, kale and zucchini. Not getting in garden today as we got 2 3/4 inch of rain last night.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got tired of the rats chewing on my tomatoes so I picked them all green. I leave the ones they've chewed hoping they will at least finish that but no. They have to start on another one. :barnie

Mary

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

View attachment 20865
Gorgeous!!!!!

Latest posts