1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Flower Show
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

What Did You Do In The Garden?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Garden' started by digitS', Mar 27, 2016.

1. Oct 11, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

The dahlias are dead down to about one foot above the ground. I feel that I can start digging them out, soon.

@Nyboy , it seems important that the frost damage occurs to set the tubers into dormancy.

What cannot occur is that the roots freeze. The tops can be cut and laid directly over the roots and I usually do that. It's quick insulation but probably won't be much help as the foliage dries out and shrinks and the weather becomes colder.

Steve

Nyboy and LocoYokel like this.
  2. Oct 11, 2017
    LocoYokel

LocoYokel Deeply Rooted

Grandma always waited until all the plant was frosted and then she (read as: us kids) dug 'em up. Let 'em dry a few days in the barn and stored 'em under the house in straw packed boxes. She/we also dug her glads up every year. I sure miss Gramma's flowers. I don't miss Gramma's chores.

Nyboy likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2017
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    I stuffed a gallon storage bag of jalepanos for my friend. It was from only one plant. I will take pictures in the next few days and plan to pull all stripped hot and sweet pepper plants before a frost toasts them. I have harvested a few tomatoes and a roma that was tasteless. A volunteer cherry growing into my chicken run has some tasty fruit. Weather Channel has no predicted frost through October 25th, which is LATE, so I will leave the squashes alone, for now. Any suggestions for my pumpkins? Should I leave them out until a frost, or can I harvest early. Bear in mind I started them in July to avoid the SVB's. Advice?

catjac1975 and journey11 like this.
  4. Oct 11, 2017
    digitS'

digitS' Garden Master

The first couple of years that I grew pumpkins, they were left on the vines until after frost. I think that I was influenced by 2 things: they were varieties that barely had time to turn a pumpkin or 2 orange by Halloween and that saying about "frost on the pumpkin." :rolleyes:

Then I read advice on pumpkins, pretty sure that it was on the North Carolina State U website. Their advice to people trying to make $ was to NOT allow pumpkins (or squash) to freeze. Makes sense.

About the dahlias: It may not reach 50° f today and we didn't head out in the 15mph winds to work in the garden. DW says, "as soon as we get all the plants cut down, we will be done with the hard work."

Easy for her to say, she doesn't dig them ... but in this soil/gravel it is easy to turn up a dahlia. The effort pales by comparison to me getting them down the basement stairs (and up again in the spring)!

Steve

Nyboy and ducks4you like this.