What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have been piling up soiled stall bedding around my fruit trees. I noticed that the one cherry tree looks older than the older one bc the horses deposit in the corner of the fences under THAT tree's drip line. The other trees need fertilizer.
I have moved in geraniums and I am moving them to their winter spots.
My poor yellow tuberous begonia hasn't been the same since we moved offices. It just loved that north facing window and I can't seem to duplicate it. I Had it upstairs but it was too cool. I put it next to my sink, but it was too wet. Now it is on a plant stand right next to a radiator by a west facing window. The lone leaf looks good, but if that one goes, it's toast.
Not gonna shed too many tears.
The white wax begonias are doing well.
The white impatiens are in a long planter at a north facing window and LOVING it.
I might be able to save the moss rose...we'll see.
Whatever makes it until the end of the year will go out in May.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With no digging out beds to bury frost-killed plants here at home this year -- lots of plants were just cut down and stacked for later.

Later arrived today! DW asked a couple of times, "you know yourself, right?" I claimed that I did and the pickup is now stuffed and waiting a run to the dump, tomorrow. Yay!

But, what a mess dahlia stalks are, what with the melted snow and weeks of laying out there! I would have much preferred to have gotten them into the ground but the at-home compost bins are full and I already knew my limitations with the shovel when those things were taken out, all those days ago.

Steve
anticipating a happy return home with an empty truck tomorrow ...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
C42B951F-893D-4FB4-A5D9-2882EC739A1F.jpeg Picked this beauty today.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, those are a work of art :thumbsup.
Then there's the almost invisible trellising made out of jute and crazy glue to help my golden hops up a tree trunk :).
View attachment 23214
Wound up and around until it made it up to the branches, then left to it's own devices.

Annette

Annette, do your hops stay green all year? I have golden hops growing on the dog run chainlink and it climbs another 12 feet into the trees above it.

Also, have you ever propagated it? I tried sharing some with @SweetMissDaisy but my method didn't work. I rooted a flat of cuttings but only a couple took.
Then I sent her home with a huge bundle to try to root in place, but I guess that wasn't successful either. Do you know if you can start them from the hops?