What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I turned the dirt in the 10 x 8 box. Ground is not froze, but there was a lot of straw, leaves, rabbit manure. I raked off some of the leaves and straw and turned the rabbit manure in.

Another drop or two of rain and all the snow will be gone outta my yard!

I find that amazing...
Here's my garden this morning.

20180130_093533.jpg

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not frozen in zone 5?
You know, they changed us to 6b, but I still order plants and things as if it was still 5b, but. I did not check the garden. There is still snow in spots there, but this box, I had compost, rabbit manure, leaves, straw, and when I raked the leaves and straw off there was green weeds and a green strawberry plant. That box is the one I always put hoops and plastic on and plant lettuce and stuff early. Raised bed, so not frozen.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
No frost damage there, @w_r_ranch . Nice!

Two high temperature records were tied, yesterday. One was in Idaho, the other, Washington State - over 50°f.

There have been a few other records this winter, mostly to the west and nearer the Cascades. Those have had to do with rainfall at the lower elevations. In those mountains, there are avalanche alerts, right now. When this warmth moved in, one ski resort had 110mph winds at the summit ..!

More towards normal temperatures are supposed to be back by tomorrow but it may not be cold enuf to snow. Another drop or two of rain and all the snow will be gone outta my yard!

Steve

We had rain and wind last night and more snow gone. I still have some in different spots, but I can walk around now and get through the yard to the shed.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, they changed us to 6b, but I still order plants and things as if it was still 5b, but. I did not check the garden. There is still snow in spots there, but this box, I had compost, rabbit manure, leaves, straw, and when I raked the leaves and straw off there was green weeds and a green strawberry plant. That box is the one I always put hoops and plastic on and plant lettuce and stuff early. Raised bed, so not frozen.
I have been rezoned to 7b.. There is no way I would buy a plant even rated for 6. It would probably live a few yers but get taken out when we have a long sub zero week.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shouldn't we suspect ..

. that the zone designations have come to be, mostly ..

. of benefit to the nursery industry?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The entire industry advances ..

. with higher replacement purchases.

The seed catalog companies purchase rather than grow their seed. I wonder what mega companies supply nurseries, both local and mail order. Or, am I being too cynical ..?

Steve

Latest posts