What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we walked around a little today and looked at some plants poking up and to see how they did this winter.

looks like pretty much all of the transplants did ok. some of the baby cedar trees were munched back to nothing (rabbits or deer are the usual winter culprits). the very low growing thyme has a purple tint to it.

daffodils and tulips starting to be poking up (even if we've had some nights recently in the teens...).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I planted nasturtium seeds around my mini orchard. :p Ok, around the fountain where my plum and apple tree are. :rolleyes:

Mary
Nasturtiums are Great ground spreading covers! They are probably annuals where you live, too. I have been looking into perennial ground covers and so Many of them, like pachysandra, are invasive. FYI (everybody who hasn't grown nasturtiums,) you can get cultivars in lots of colors, too, AND they are edible--put them in your salad.
https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/nasturtium/nasturtium-flower-seed.html

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
ducks, there are even nsturtiums that are more clumping than viney. Here they are annuals but they reseed. Not like crazy but enough to give you some plants and pull any you don't want.

One year I had the viney kind around the fountain. Well they spread out pretty far. I had someone on the chicken tour ask me why the rest of my garden was so tidy and the nasturiums area was so wild. Told them that was my "wild side" of me. :p The rest was the OCD side of me. ;)

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went out and turned the dirt in the box. I got half the box planted. Lettuce several kinds, spinach and mustard. I have to rake and turn the dirt on the rest of the box and decide what to plant there. I have it covered with plastic on the hoops. I have a lot of tomatoes and peppers up. I transplanted to bigger pots all of the kale, collards and cabbage and planted a few more kale and cherry tomatoes, some basil.
You have been one busy bee.

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I burned some of what I cut off of the pine trees, "raising their crowns," so to speak. I will have to treat for bagworms. One more good day at the burdock in the south pasture and it's all cleared out there!! (At least the dead ones from last year. THEN I have to remove and burn the stuff I have cut.) THEN, I have to rake up all of the pine needles underneath them all to make sure that I get as many of the bagworm bags that fell off of them. Hardy little Blue Spruce!! They don't like it in IL, but boy have my Blue Spruce trees still been fighting to stay alive and grow needles.
Sure burns good...

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked in a few flower beds today! This is exciting because I have been unusually sick (for me) for a week. Listlessly laying about indoors hacking up lungs.
But not today!!!:weeeNo, today the sun shone!! Today I worked in the sun and broke a sweat that was not a fever! :weee

I got all my smokebush coppiced, the beds raked clear of debris, the debris hauled and dumped in the yard compost, and several Japanese anemone that had reached epic size and were easy finally to get to, dug out and transplanted.
I overdid it, but I'm happy about that little bit of accomplishment. Yay me! haha

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I worked in a few flower beds today! This is exciting because I have been unusually sick (for me) for a week. Listlessly laying about indoors hacking up lungs.
But not today!!!:weeeNo, today the sun shone!! Today I worked in the sun and broke a sweat that was not a fever! :weee

I got all my smokebush coppiced, the beds raked clear of debris, the debris hauled and dumped in the yard compost, and several Japanese anemone that had reached epic size and were easy finally to get to, dug out and transplanted.
I overdid it, but I'm happy about that little bit of accomplishment. Yay me! haha

the truth has come out about those ideho people and their stories of early spring......
dream on step sister......

images

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I coulda done some digging in a flower bed. I woulda had to dig a hole beside one of my brick posts to position the drill motor where I can get a screw into a fence rail from below. Fence rehab continues in the front yard.

Tomorrow, I'll do it! The boards I'd intended to use as replacement rails were too short. Longer boards had melting snow &/or rain on them the other day and are too wet to paint. I'll be going off to building supply in the AM.

Scraping, wire brushing and painting pickets continued through sunny daylight hours. Now, I'll watch the news and have prepped some more containers for sowing seed for plant starts. Maybe that also counts as doing something in the garden!

Steve :)

Latest posts