What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
They can smell the pollen.

I understood when the other corn wasn’t ready but once they started on that field, thought I was safe. Nope. Never been hit before.

i'm sure you have fantasies about wiring up one of those cobs to 220V and watching the neighborhood light up at night...

instant meal too, roasted corn with a side of raccoon bbq...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cried.....coons got my first 3 plantings of sweet corn about 5 days before it was ready. 4th planting I hoped was safe as I saw they had switched to field corn. Nope! Day before I could pick it, annihilated the whole patch..

If not for my wife’s cats, I’d bait the whole batch. I’d like to give my expenses bill to the tree huggers.....
Raccoons have a habit of ruining corn just before it reaches human harvest stage. They destroyed mine two years running... which was the reason I first began using an electric fence. It didn't work the first year; once they've had a taste, they'll put up with the shocks (or find a way around the wires) to get back in. The fence works good as deterrent, though, if turned on early in the season - no losses since. The fence stopped the deer from ravaging my beans too, and I added chicken wire low to keep out the rabbits.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cried.....coons got my first 3 plantings of sweet corn about 5 days before it was ready. 4th planting I hoped was safe as I saw they had switched to field corn. Nope! Day before I could pick it, annihilated the whole patch..

If not for my wife’s cats, I’d bait the whole batch. I’d like to give my expenses bill to the tree huggers.....

Sorry to hear that sounds kind of not sorry enough, but I don't cuss, so will put a smiley for what I think of the coons. :somad:somad:he:eek::rant:th

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raccoons have a habit of ruining corn just before it reaches human harvest stage. They destroyed mine two years running... which was the reason I first began using an electric fence. It didn't work the first year; once they've had a taste, they'll put up with the shocks (or find a way around the wires) to get back in. The fence works good as deterrent, though, if turned on early in the season - no losses since. The fence stopped the deer from ravaging my beans too, and I added chicken wire low to keep out the rabbits.

Hot wire = :love
Best and least labor intensive/expensive deterrent IMO.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, given all the rain in the forecast, it appears I've reached the point where I will be trudging through the wet garden each day... picking all of the bean pods which have begun to dry, before they have a chance to rot. The local weather guy said that parts of Wisconsin may break the record this month - for annual rainfall! :ep I guess I don't feel as bad now about not planting my rural garden, I'm just glad to be getting good production from the plots in my yard.

Still picking lots of okra in September, every other day... never had such a good crop. Usually the plants have begun to wilt & drop leaves by now. Picked & froze the first round of chard, the plants are already beginning to bounce back for Round 2. Winter squash still developing nicely, 2-3 per plant; it looks like I won my battle with SVB this year.:celebrate Bitter melon still going strong, will have plenty to give away... which IMO is the best use for it, despite its health benefits.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hehe, I'm in Spring time now, had to weedwack my yard cos its been too wet to mow the lawns. Hit the rockwalls as well so, some things are starting to look nice n' tidy for the clean freaks next door.