What Did You Do In The Garden?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cleaned burdock. I have 2 more days of this and I am dressing in layers. Yesterday I got hives on my shoulders and back and arms. Btw, poison ivy soap helps a LOT.

Mom swears by the fels naptha soap and is what she washes with when she comes in from messing around with the lavender.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mom swears by the fels naptha soap and is what she washes with when she comes in from messing around with the lavender.
My wife keeps fels-naptha soap as well. I have a favorite video about poison ivy prevention I am linking here, and fels-naptha or any other detergent type oil or grease cutting soap will work as well. There is a secret to how it actually works though, as is explained in the video.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know. Here’s my problem. When I miss a spot, it spreads like a fire doused with gas on me. Hoe to get rid of the infection is of more value to me. I’ve had to take the shots in past. Now unless over a great part of my body, Doctor will not give me a shot due to potential side effects.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good to know. Here’s my problem. When I miss a spot, it spreads like a fire doused with gas on me. Hoe to get rid of the infection is of more value to me. I’ve had to take the shots in past. Now unless over a great part of my body, Doctor will not give me a shot due to potential side effects.
Knowing it is an oil helps I hope.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Knew it was an oil. Did learn to use a wash rag as in past I never did as I thought (& wrong) that a rag would just spread the oil over unaffected areas. I also use bleach to take oils off.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Knew it was an oil. Did learn to use a wash rag as in past I never did as I thought (& wrong) that a rag would just spread the oil over unaffected areas. I also use bleach to take oils off.
I actually use 2 rags, one for that first serious scrub and a fresh one for that "just to be sure" scrub.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
after having cleared most of the poison ivy from the hedge to the north we don't have as much of it around now, but once in a while a bird brings a seed in and i'll find a new vine try to get started. the good news is that it is not a fast growing plant here so even if i don't get around to removing it right away i can eventually get to it before it will spread far or get any berries. the north hedge past the large ditch continues east and there is plenty more poison ivy back there, but i have no incentive to bother clearing it from there because it would be a huge effort and besides the beehives are back there and i won't ever want to disturb them either.

i just make sure to tell Mom where the plant is until i can remove it because it seems she will find any piece of poison ivy and not notice it. i have one on my list for this fall as soon as the beans are off the fence. it is a tiny plant in a spot she plans on moving some butterfly bush plants so i have to get it out of there before she brushes against it and she does know about it but she might forget... i remove them root and all if i can by using old rags so i never have to touch it.

Latest posts