What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am not sure what I will be doing. I was turning dirt with a shovel and pulled something in my back. Went to the chiropractor and he said my neck and shoulders were really stiff and messed up. See how the day goes. I went with DD to look for flowers yesterday for her place and mine. All I found was a little pot of cone flowers. I have some old hollyhock seeds and I am going to see if they will sprout and looking at different flower seeds and thinking of starting flowers and planting seedlings around the edge of the garden.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a slow start and some Tylenol I planted a few peppers and a tomato and then I decided to plant tomatoes in 4 big flower pots, so I put manure down on the bottom and some garden soil and some soil mixed with the cow manure on top. I used one of my walls of water for the first time. Kind of a pain to deal with. I think I have it supported where it will not fall over. I should have watched the video how to use it the right way.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The temps are finally over 60 F. so put the plants out to begin hardening off - their first taste of sunlight. The tomatoes have been doing OK under lights, but the peppers & eggplant really need sunlight... the eggplant had already started greening up by the evening. I'll start potting up the tomatoes, eggplant, tomatillo, and the larger peppers in a few days.
20210512_151250.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yesterday afternoon i finally got out again for some work on the project and some light weeding. i'd done some light weeding between the bouts of icky weather the past few weeks but we've not gotten enough rains to really get the ground wet very deep. there's a dry crust on the surface of any of the gardens that have a lot of clay (almost all of them :) ) but underneath it is still moist enough i'm not too worried yet.

however a few days of a good soaking drizzle would be nice right now. no rains in the forecast until Sunday night and Monday and my guess is that those will largely miss us too.

this means it is now a great time to weed and leave the weeds on the surface to dry out instead of discarding them to the weed pile or having to bury them (if they don't have weed seeds they're prime worm food IMO). :)

@Gardening with Rabbits any kind of back injury is no fun at all, i hope you will come through this ok!

between chiropractor and massage therapy i'm usually doing ok but i have back issues from old injuries and always have to work around them in various ways. one thing for sure, when starting out in the morning do something easy and light to get your body and back limbered up. even doing some light bends and moving before doing any heavy digging or lifting will help prevent further injuries. i always have tight hamstrings which can do fun things to my lower back if i'm not careful enough. uhg! it's hard to remember to do some light exercise before i get into something else, but i pay for it if i don't.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Yesterday I Transplanted:
1) 6 yellow sweet peppers from cell pack to 3 inch pots
2) 2 orange sweet peppers from 3 inch pots to 6 inch pots
3) 18 beefsteak tomatoes from three 6 ct cell packs to 3/12 inch pots
4) 31 roma tomatoes from ONE inch pots (started from seed) to both yogurt containers and (for 7 large w/2-3 inch roots) to 3 inch pots
Seemed like it took all day.
Most are on the east facing ledge of my glass enclosed (unheated) front porch, the others are on heat maps under gro lights.
HOPE to get to more gardening done this PM, but I got some work and had to spend time with my laptop.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished cleaning, repairing, and setting up the greenhouse today.

I had to replace some of the roof panels, robbed from a similar greenhouse kit I picked up for $200 a few years ago. The panels are fortunately the correct width, but about 4" too long (they were intended to be used as side panels). Rather than cut off the excess, I left them over-hanging the edge, since that will keep the panel edges clean. Then set up the tables, ran an extension cord for the heater, and brought all the tomatoes, peppers, etc. into the greenhouse.

This is one of the Harbor Freight greenhouses; all panels are held in place by spring clips. Those wire spring clips have a lot of tension, and are tough on the fingers. But some years ago, I needed a small spanner (don't remember what for) and cut a slot in the end of an old straight-slot screwdriver. That tool came in handy for removing & inserting the clips... and for positioning them properly if they didn't go in straight.

With nights in the mid 40's now, the space heater can maintain 60 F. degrees overnight - so this round of plants will stay in the greenhouse now. That makes room under the lights for the next round of transplants, which will be started next week.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Attacked the main garden bed. Beets and allysium (co-planted) are both up, fun watching the 6 x 12' adjacent bed of last Fall's turnips going to seed. NO research, but it is looking like they go to seed like radishes, with the yellow flowers on top and seed pods forming on the stem. When the seed pods look ready I will remove them and dry them out and store.
Mowed the rest of the lawn, although I had to use my light on my new Kabota tractor mower. DANDY little machine.
I had prune the pine trees west edge of the garden bed and there was more than my large, 2 wheeled wheelbarrow could manage, so I hooked up the tow wagon, and moved 2 two wagons worth of pine branches.
I used my reciprocating saw to saw down about 1/2 dozen large burdock, and a small sapling.
I have jobs in town today, so the poisoning will have to wait until tomorrow morning.
I plan to till it up, cover with tarps, transplant my purchased cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower to large holding pots for a good week or so, bc I want to "Preen" around them, and to be sure that they are large enough to handle it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The new tiller was used for the first time for about two hours. Even with the tractor guy's recent and the good depth to his work - he left the usual "ditches" where he turned. Two passes with the tiller over this ground did an adequate leveling job.

That completed about 1/2 of the work in one corner. Waiting also is the other end of the garden where the tractor leaves less of a mess.

The tiller did a little better than the old one at maintaining a straight line, climbing through the "ditches." That helps with the amount of effort I need to put in, trying to hold it straight and gaining the leveling required.

A little sweet corn went in. And, celeriac (celery root) transplants ...

I didn't have too much trouble moving the tiller in and out of the pickup. Fortunately! I set things up so that there was room at the front to reach the controls to start it. In the garage, I'm impeded by shelving on both sides of where the tillers are stored. I've run the tires onto 2 of those plastic things you can set your furniture on to allow the couch or whatever to slide rather than be lifted when you are wanting to vacuum under it. :D Hey. It works for rototiller tires!

Steve