What Did You Do In The Garden?

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Relocating strawberries - I removed them from a big plastic raise bed and will plant them later to the vertical towers in the chicken runs.
1495.jpg

Where I planted the strawberries - I buried tulips, covered with a thick layer of soil (recycled from other pots), added some manure-based fertilizer, another layer of soil, then some spinach seedlings. This plastic raised bed has a cover, so it should be ok for frost-hardy spinach to grow slowly within.
1496.jpg

Relocating young chamomile plants - I once directly sowed them in one raised bed, and they self-seeded pretty well. I dug them out and will let them stay in the greenhouse from now on. Next spring, I will also plant them in the chicken run area.

1497.jpg

The time working in the garden flies.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have been dumping mulch leaves into the garden and today I put 6 wheelbarrows of charcoals from dropped twigs and offerings spread out. I will till it in as soon as its reasonable to do so but not before spraying for nematodes, which be an ongoing prep cycle 3 or 4 times prior to planting. This coming year, regardless of current temps, I will be planting with the sun on the spring day.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
12/24 toured around the yard filling out my new plant ID journal (so I can 'remember' what things are and where I got them)
12/24 began a DETAILED map of the yard - estimating, eyeballing & working from "memory" gets me more trouble than progress
12/26 collected a BUNCH of random fallen branches from all over the yard and burned
12/26 ran the mower over most of the deep leaves - leaving about inch of leaf mulch on the ground and dumping deep leaf mulch over 3 planted flower beds

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cleaned up the last big batch of leaves an dumped them in the garden with the rest and the already spread charcoals Got the tiller out and thought it would crank right up like always. Nope. Spent the morning loving it back to good health. I have no idea how that much water could get in a gas tank in my shed. Maybe I left it out or hosed off it wrong when I put it up.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@Rhodie Ranch , Lucky YOU!! My back yard is a mudfest!
Still, it was dry yesterday. I continued working under my fencelines to pull out weed stems, collect any bunches of burdock seeds, lay down cardboard (directly Under the metal fencing) and dumping used stall bedding on top, so that I will see fewer burdock next year. THEY ARE SO TRICKY...so I need to be cleverer than the weed!! Bha, ha, ha!!!
I also cleaned up the tarp I had down on what used to be my burn spot, before my firepit, and hung it on the gate to the Inner Sanctum, so the weather will clean it up today, what with 2 days of rain scheduled. Hopefully it will be clean enough to use by Thursday. I am using my Christmas check to buy bedding, and if a horse is near it he/she will chew the bags open. Shopping Thursday bc the roads will be good and we haven't had any real ice...yet. I can park the truck in the garage and take my time unloading, although DH might suggest using the tractor.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
12/24 toured around the yard filling out my new plant ID journal (so I can 'remember' what things are and where I got them)
12/24 began a DETAILED map of the yard - estimating, eyeballing & working from "memory" gets me more trouble than progress
12/26 collected a BUNCH of random fallen branches from all over the yard and burned
12/26 ran the mower over most of the deep leaves - leaving about inch of leaf mulch on the ground and dumping deep leaf mulch over 3 planted flower beds
Still milking?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Planted 2 new fuyu persimmons and mulched under a bunch of yard plants. Cut down a dying dogwood. What is that disease that makes their bark pop off anyway? Picked up sticks and have a bonfire of twigs set. Rain for 2 days to come so it will have to wait. I am glad the leaves are all down. Fall is the messiest time of year.

Last edited:

Latest posts