What Did You Do In The Garden?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This one rhubarb plant is still growing while the other plants have died down to the ground. Is this normal? I believe it did this last winter too, it wasn't this big tho.

Do I need to do anything or just let it do I thing?
Lol I cannot tell a plant what to do.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
This one rhubarb plant is still growing while the other plants have died down to the ground. Is this normal? I believe it did this last winter too, it wasn't this big tho.

Do I need to do anything or just let it do I thing?
My rhubarb often dies back in the heat of summer, and then re-sprouts a little in the Fall. That never seems to matter when the freeze comes, the plants come up strongly in Spring - and winters here can get pretty cold. Provided your plants are in a well-drained location, they should be fine... but a lot of people on other garden forums reported rhubarb die-back last Summer, so only time will tell.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
3 days in - Mt. Rotmore 2022 is still only about 18" high - but is a LOT heavier. Rain or no rain - I got a wagon load of 'poophay' into the bin.
We are officially composting now. Does anybody else watch Monty Don? 'compahast' and 'leafmould' sound so much better with his accent.
I have a serious compahast-crush on him.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
3 days in - Mt. Rotmore 2022 is still only about 18" high - but is a LOT heavier. Rain or no rain - I got a wagon load of 'poophay' into the bin.
We are officially composting now. Does anybody else watch Monty Don? 'compahast' and 'leafmould' sound so much better with his accent.
I have a serious compahast-crush on him.
24hrs later & it's now 2 bins.
20220101_164437.jpg

Several hundred lbs of cow manure layered with course hay & mowed leaves

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My compost "piles" would be better called compost "pits."

A circle of wire would not work as well here in this semi-arid climate, I figure. @canesisters , I've already related how I stacked hay with layers of manure and they absolutely cooked all winter but alfalfa seeds remained viable on the perimeter. No, I didn't turn the material.

When I had another set-up, It was 2 large bins surrendered by concrete blocks. That worked quite well but I just alternated the piling/layering, using one, one year and the other the next year. Then, I went semi-subterranean.

The soil here must have a clay component but there are so many rocks that rain won't make puddles unless the ground is severely compacted. No way does my running 1 1/2" of water/week on the bordering lawn grass cause any ponding of water in 18" deep pits.

Nothing much "cooks" but decomposition if well along in about 6 months, even over winter. It isn't a technique for everyone, everywhere but I appreciate that it works for me.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Got home around 4:00 - had the wire-fencing compost bin up in record time! Dumped all the tall grass/weeds that once covered that spot into the bottom and then spent an hour running the push mower over deep leaves in the yard. My mower's bagger/mulcher isn't all that great so it leaves about 1/2" mulched on the ground and the rest goes into the bagger .. except for what blows out ALL OVER me. Using a push mower in the dark with a light on my forehead is a new experience. I'm longing for those 8-9pm sunsets already.
Day #1 creating compost for summer 2022 = mulched leaves about 18" deep in the bin (located almost where Mt Rotmore used to be ;))
Tonight - unless it's POURING RAIN - I'll be adding an equal amount of manure/spoiled hay mix

@Cosmo spring garden a friend planted beds and beds of garlic last year and at one point EVERY surface in her kitchen, dining room and den was covered in bins of drying garlic! I'm going to have to ask if she knows about storing them like you did.
Check to make that the mower's chute that holds the bag in place is secure. MY bag started to buckle on the bottom, so I put a brick in it and that keeps it down.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which begs the question... if the days are shorter, is everything happening faster? Or maybe it just feels that way as we get older. ;)

if you are standing on the North or South Pole and spin around in the other direction are you going back in time?

i would say that if you are in the same general location each day then the length of the day should not change much at all. if it does something major has happened... good luck with that. :)

as for how long the daylight lasts that varies with the season for most of us who are some distance away from the equator of the planet. being in the northern hemisphere the daylight length is now getting longer again. i am happy for that it means that spring will be here eventually.

Latest posts