What Did You Do In The Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peeled garlic to store in the fridge. 2 quart jars worth of garlic will last about 2 months. We eat a lot of garlic!

In the garden DH bagged up more leaves to cover up the fig trees. We didn't have enough leaves for 4 trees so we will need to harvest hay.
We are just doing a lot of cleaning up and burning the weeds at this time.

Attachments

• 20211228_161221.jpg
    20211228_161221.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 82

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Peeled garlic to store in the fridge. 2 quart jars worth of garlic will last about 2 months. We eat a lot of garlic!

In the garden DH bagged up more leaves to cover up the fig trees. We didn't have enough leaves for 4 trees so we will need to harvest hay.
We are just doing a lot of cleaning up and burning the weeds at this time.
How long will the garlic last stored in the jars?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if the garlic starts sprouting you can cut the roots off and any bits that might be questionable and then grind it up using a meat grinder or food processor on a coarse chop and then drench it with lemon, lime or perhaps even orange juice or vinegar and put it in the freezer (i pack it in small jars and then use old canning lids (warmed up) and rings, tighten them down well and into the freezer they go. they'll keep like that for at least a year or two.

i have some in the fridge now that is slightly growing, it'll be ok long enough for me to use it up. :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got home around 4:00 - had the wire-fencing compost bin up in record time! Dumped all the tall grass/weeds that once covered that spot into the bottom and then spent an hour running the push mower over deep leaves in the yard. My mower's bagger/mulcher isn't all that great so it leaves about 1/2" mulched on the ground and the rest goes into the bagger .. except for what blows out ALL OVER me. Using a push mower in the dark with a light on my forehead is a new experience. I'm longing for those 8-9pm sunsets already.
Day #1 creating compost for summer 2022 = mulched leaves about 18" deep in the bin (located almost where Mt Rotmore used to be ;))
Tonight - unless it's POURING RAIN - I'll be adding an equal amount of manure/spoiled hay mix

@Cosmo spring garden a friend planted beds and beds of garlic last year and at one point EVERY surface in her kitchen, dining room and den was covered in bins of drying garlic! I'm going to have to ask if she knows about storing them like you did.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mower's bagger/mulcher isn't all that great so it leaves about 1/2" mulched on the ground and the rest goes into the bagger .. except for what blows out ALL OVER me. Using a push mower in the dark with a light on my forehead is a new experience. I'm longing for those 8-9pm sunsets already.
Been there, done that, and knowing someone else works outside in the dark with a head light makes me feel a little less crazy. I prefer "dedicated" or "eccentric". ;)
@Cosmo spring garden a friend planted beds and beds of garlic last year and at one point EVERY surface in her kitchen, dining room and den was covered in bins of drying garlic! I'm going to have to ask if she knows about storing them like you did.
Anyone with that much garlic should dehydrate a good portion of it. Dehydrated garlic can be stored in sealed containers at room temperature for a long time, so won't use up valuable refrigerator or freezer space (and frozen garlic loses too much flavor IMO). I'm still using up the last of my dehydrated garlic chips from 2020, and garlic powder made from them still tastes fresh.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This one rhubarb plant is still growing while the other plants have died down to the ground. Is this normal? I believe it did this last winter too, it wasn't this big tho.

Do I need to do anything or just let it do I thing?
Even though we're in different climate zones @Cosmo spring garden I'd say that dying back is normal, even necessary. I think without a period of dormancy they Won't produce, at least not well. Mine usually die back totally and look deceased at the height of summer heat when in full sun, but they always come back with gusto when conditions get wetter or cool down.