What Did You Do In The Garden?

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I transplanted all the leeks today and up potted coleus seedlings. I think that's what they are called. I'm too tired to get up to go check.
I decided to use a large chunk of my main garden for a sitting area. I need a space IN the garden to sit and rest or even go have a meal/tea. I'll post pictures after it's all done. I am so excited to have that space.

Attachments

• 20220429_080808.jpg
    20220429_080808.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 77

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need a space IN the garden to sit and rest or even go have a meal/tea. I'll post pictures after it's all done. I am so excited to have that space
They are very nice to have. Of course, think of shade.

Not willing to make too many changes on property belonging to other people, I have made the simplest benches in distant gardens - one under an almond tree, the other garden, under an apple tree. The apple tree was so far back in the syringa that it couldn't do much for apples and DW and I were completely shaded altho facing north and the garden. Lunch! Very pleasant.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sit on the patio when warm. While cold I mostly stand in the house looking out the window. I have quail outside putting on a show. I started shaking some of the birdseed out of the feeder and they come and eat off what is on the ground. This morning this male was walking around under the bird feeder and a small bird came to the feeder and some fell out that he ran and gobbled up and then later I looked out and he was just siting under the feeder waiting for a bird. LOL I saw 4 walking around finding stuff to eat in the grass. My plants are back in the house and I am going to take them out to the greenhouse until nighttime. We have to have a place to eat and they are covering the table. It is 46 and cloudy. Next week is going to be nice and I will keep them outside and finish hardening them off while I get the ground ready for them.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted a few more onions, thyme, lemon balm and parsley yesterday. I may put some plastic over the parsley. I put all the plants back in the greenhouse. I am just going to carry in at night and out during the day. They are hardened off, but the ground is just so cold. I saw tomato plants at stores yesterday for almost $6 and look stressed and small. Herb plants almost $4. I am not sure if they are bringing all those plants in at night. I doubt it. Grocery stores do not have room. It is just a cold spring. I will work on getting the ground ready and planting early stuff right now.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled. Probably about 1/8th of the distant garden but it was about 2 hours of work taking in the time for a little raking and planting a few pea seeds (time sitting on a milk crate was separate ;).)

The soil was very dry and the job the tractor guy did last Fall was not to good depth. I made 2 passes the full length of the garden and it appears that he didn't leave so much in the way of ridges and ditches, perhaps as a result of the lack of depth. Probably means more work for the tiller and less work for me trying to hold it straight.

The temperature out there this morning is 37° (3°C). Supposed to rain tomorrow but there is one more sunny day to be out there - gotta do some chores around here, first. Maybe can make a stop for some seed potatoes and get them in the ground.

Soil temperature check would have made sense but it's already late and the Oregon Grape is blooming nextdoor so it looks okay. More till, till, till ... and more frosts coming.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Planted 2 rows of sweet corn. Ground is too cold but I’ve lost more before. This year, I have to put up a hot wire to keep animals out. They eat some, destroy the rest.
Interesting plan. I am reusing the 5 fences, 12 ft long, that I built in 2021.
I planted one row of corn 10 days ago.
Next Sunday I am planting the next row.
I am planting 2 weeks apart.
We will have to BOTH post success photos. :hugs

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My 10 privets are not in the ground YET, but they are still alive. Even the latest has tiny little leaves.
Once they go into the ground, it'll be permanent, so I will start planting the first one this weekend, and then go from there.
Spade is STILL my favorite gardening tool.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My gardener friend has turned over the soil and between us we have pulled out a box full of concrete plastic and glass.

I'm trying too corner off small sections of garden to start a little growing of vegetables herbs plus mushrooms. I now have the log set up with my shiitake which is just starting too bud.

My chickens have destroyed my thyme plants so will have to replace them while my chives are still thriving. I have now fenced off that area so it doesn't happen again.

Latest posts