What Did You Do In The Garden?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished prepping some ground and planted more snow pea seeds and the onion starts. They were tiny things, once again, indicating the lack of sunlight this spring. Of course, onion seed was started in the greenhouse in the middle of Winter ...

The Weather Service had some things a little wrong. Yesterday was supposed to start off freezing, it didn't. The wind was supposed to be not much more than a breeze, it was a little unpleasant. The sky cover was supposed to be very limited, it became more and more cloudy and began to rain before we left the distant garden. This Morning, it froze - it wasn't supposed to ;).

Turned greenhouse heat on at 4:30, I should have been out there an hour earlier.

;) Steve

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cleaned and re-organized this area - now it looks more pleasant.
3877.jpg

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Planted the kale and cabbage starts, attached the two drip headers for them, chopped 2 new holes for the cherry bushes that will go in, in a couple days! Removed some firewood from the fruit tree area and unloaded a truck full of chain link stuff that will soon become a full enclosure around all the trees.
Im tired.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
meh. Quackgrass, my old nemesis. That is what we have in our yard. :mad:

when i have enough time and energy i double dig it out and rake through the clumps of clay to get all the roots out. it is a lot of work, but i'd rather do that than use herbicides. when i don't have as much time i single dig and then wait for what is left to come back up again and keep chopping it off with the stirrup hoe. eventually it does give up, but it takes a rather determined effort over a few year's time.

smothering is the easiest, but also takes a few years and you also have to be consistent in making sure none of the sprouts are coming back up.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
when i have enough time and energy i double dig it out and rake through the clumps of clay to get all the roots out. it is a lot of work, but i'd rather do that than use herbicides. when i don't have as much time i single dig and then wait for what is left to come back up again and keep chopping it off with the stirrup hoe. eventually it does give up, but it takes a rather determined effort over a few year's time.

smothering is the easiest, but also takes a few years and you also have to be consistent in making sure none of the sprouts are coming back up.
Do you mean, if I keep chopping weeds, eventually they should be pretty weakened? Some corners in our garden, huuuu, I can only rely on such expectation that chop and drop can work.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you mean, if I keep chopping weeds, eventually they should be pretty weakened? Some corners in our garden, huuuu, I can only rely on such expectation that chop and drop can work.

the weed species is important. some weeds might store a lot more energy in their root system compared to others. i've found that very few weeds can survive three years without sunlight. two is intermediate and one is easy.

Latest posts