What Did You Do In The Garden?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I atTACKED the weeds and fencing along the street. Something I Meant to do in EDIT: 2022 and ran out of time.
I already sawed down the saplings and moved all of the pieces to a burn pile and mowed up the west side of the fence.
Yesterday, I sawed everything down on the east side.
I hand pulled all bindweed, including the pieces that had attached themselves to the old cattle fencing.
If you weed bindweed and throw it in your yard, it might rehydrate and regrow, so it is sentenced to death.
Ran out of time to pick up, but this PM I will be moving That, too, then mowing close and I will finish poisoning at the bottom of the fenceline and soaking all stumps that had decided to regrow.
Actually, this has been a project over many years. The first time I chopped down saplings, Mostly tree of paradise, they were so thick and big that one hit me in the head going down and it Really hurt!
none of these were anywhere Near as big.
The plan is to keep a small plastic container with herbicide in the garage and a small paintbrush attached to it with a rubber band. If any come back after I plant I will paint them.
A couple of stumps managed to die for me, and they burn good.
Here is my view from my office. Pardon the dirty window. If you look sharp you can see my neighbor's trash right over the south fence! :lol:
Street fencing project, 2023, #1.jpg

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started the germination testing for all of the older soybeans today, to determine in advance how many will need TLC / rescue protocols. My soybean grow list will be finalized after I know which are most in need of attention. I'll start at least 16 cells of any which are direct seeded, as backups.
Well, the test results - as expected - were not encouraging. Seven varieties tested at or below 10%; so those will all need to be pre-sprouted en masse, with any that sprout transferred to pots. Four more varieties had stock too low to test, so those will be assumed weak & subjected to the same treatment. And for soybeans intended for the rural garden, I will start 12 cells as transplants, just in case.

A LOT more soybean transplants than I had planned for... hopefully this will be the last time that I need this many. If those & the direct-seeded soybeans all succeed, the rest of the collection should be OK.

Edit to add, this will be a good project to do during the hours when heat drives me indoors this week :thumbsup

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I broke the gang valve on the hose, so I had to walk the length of the garden, out the gate, up to Mister’s corral fence only to find Randy had blocked access to the hose, so I had to walk thru the mud under the apricot tree, past the chicken pen to the hose bib, changed the gang valve but forgot to turn the water back up, walked down the long fenceline (long for me, I’ve only been out of the wheelchair a few months) then thru the gate, back up the long fenceline to the raised beds and found I had not turned the water back on. At that point my legs were not going the right direction every step so I met up with Fen. after walked back down to the other end of the garden, and we said “phffft!” and went in the house to recover. On the bright side, my Austrian Copper rose is so happy she’s giddy!!!

IMG_3935.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is always a challenge here with so many tripping hazards. one raised bed garden i worked in today is surrounded by field stones and even within the garden itself there are a few along the edge (supposedly holding it up but they've sunk and moved so now they are just hazards - but they're rocks! pretty! :) ).

i have to sometimes do the hose on or off run to the house because maybe i turned it on or off or Mom came by and turned it off or ... it's ok, a good time to come inside and get a glass of water and cool off.

watering, planting, weeding, some leveling.

onions, tomatoes, peppers, squash and melons. Thursday i hope i can finish all the squash and melons (most of them potentially deer food as they will be outside the fences).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
SO much of my gardening is now Preparation, like the cleaned up fencing that is BEGGING for planting.
Today, I will start with fixing the cord on my tiller, then moving (cutting the panel in 1/2) and the 8 ft fenceposts and moving them both to the cistern for the tomatoes that are NOW bursting out of their pots, some over 14 inches tall and leggy.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Running on benedryl yesterday, but I pulled myself up by my summer bootstraps and got stuff done.
I coiled up my two heated hoses. They are red and blue and I store them each in a red and blue muck bucket for the summer, until about December. Got That done and they are safely stored.
I drove the tow wagon out and picked up the remainder of the saplings that I sawed this weekend and piled them up.
I filled the horse's water trough and then coiled up the hoses, 1/2 around the canoe, and the hose that is hooked on the spigot is coiled out of the way for weekend mowing.
I mowed everything I Could mow in the Inner Sanctum with my riding mower. Looked like a 30% predicted rain shower, so I drove the riding mower into the Carriage House to keep it dry.
I Poured in town, according to DH, it rained one mile north of us--we have a construction detour, so I KNOW THIS, I poured enough to puddle the corn fields 5 miles north of us, it rained at DD's house, 10 miles north of us.
We
Got
NOTHING!!
I guess I need to get more seeds in the ground to wait for the next rain, about 8 days out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
set up seven worm buckets for adding worms. not sure when i'll be able to get that done. hope today or tomorrow, but there's really no super rush on them.

after that it was outside to do some weeding, watering. i did not get anything else planted.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hopefully, in the next 30 minutes, I will have attached a new pull cord to my tiller. The old one broke in 1/2 last year, and I tied it together, instead of replacing it.
I will take my phone outside with me to celebrate my victory.

that's a heck of a lot easier than cleaning a coil spring and getting back in the saddle (that's what i'm calling it, dunno what it is really called :) ) again.

Latest posts