What Did You Do In The Garden?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I spread nosema locustae on about 2 acres for the grasshoppers. I also laid down a band of EcoBran around the outside perimeter of the garden.

My late direct seeded cabbage is up, as well as the kale the cukes and the cosmos. :)
Hopefully the cabbage won't notice that it's nearly 100 degrees :\.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
What??

The plum beside my garden is a Klamath plum. It shouldn't be there ... Hundreds of miles too far north, it is covered with blooms but has only a handful of fruit. I think it responds to daylength but the flowers freeze at a critical stage. There was a windstorm that really tore it up several years ago but it is doing okay and looks just fine from a distance.

And, here I thought it was another Mountain Cottontail sharing my garden space ...

;) Steve

I have 2, but DH almost cut them down with all the pruning he did, but they are alive, but now my WHOLE YARD is full of plum seedlings. I was going to have DS mow again, but I think they better be dug up or we are going to have trouble next year. Should we dig them up if we do not want a plum forest?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted 2 tomato plants that I felt sorry for. I have a few plants that, I was still watering looking for a place in the garden for them, and this one tomato in this little cup has 2 small tomatoes on it, so I took it and another one and planted them. I picked a bowl of raspberries and did not even hardly move from one spot. It was so hot and little spiders and a couple of earwigs dropped in the bowl, I decided to pick the rest in the morning.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 2, but DH almost cut them down with all the pruning he did, but they are alive, but now my WHOLE YARD is full of plum seedlings. I was going to have DS mow again, but I think they better be dug up or we are going to have trouble next year. Should we dig them up if we do not want a plum forest?
That is my problem. Roots send shoots everywhere. Wish I had never seen plum tree. With only one, no fruit. Only thing it is pretty in bloom.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Burned burdock on my brush pile and watered vegetables. Harvested one nice big sweet bell pepper for Sunday's meatloaf. (DD uses the blender for the pepper and onions with the eggs and bread to mix with the meat--nicer flavor.) After dinner worked in DD's back yard and planted 13/15 vinca, the kind that spreads. This is full shade from the garage to the south and under an established, shady tree. Good soil, but compacted, and if they keep it watered for the summer it should do well. I planted 6 with green leaves and 7 with variegated leaves. I love mine and never have to do anything with it. It always bothers me when I accidentally pull some when weeding. The two other vinca plants died back, so I will "nursery them" to some good growth before planting. I planted them ~3 ft apart. I want them to spread, but it doesn't have to fill in the whole area this year.
https://www.thespruce.com/vinca-minor-vines-2132217
Tell me, where did the vinca that doesn't spread come from?!? I bought some of that last year and was heartily disappointed. Not only did they not spread, but the didn't survive the winter. Guess I didn't read that they are annuals...from India...falsely named, "vinca".
http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2014/06/vinca-flower/

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Started weeding-again-got onions and watermelons done in AM. Planted about 100+ starts, salvaged about 30. Dang grass took them.

Then weeded south border, then transplanted 4 O'clocks. Finally re-weeded the grass out of butterfly garden. With all this rain, grass restarts overnight.

My sweetcorn is about 2' tall and starting to tassel. Can't be good.
I was thinking, "Blessed are the weeders," so I Googled it and came up with this (enjoy):
http://thoi.org/?p=11338
"...
You stand this day, all of you, before the Lord your G-d;

From woodchopper to waterdrawer ….

From weeder to planter...
From hedge trimmer to newsletter editor...
From lawn cutter to Torah repairer...
From maker of coffee to purchaser of cups..."
Just a sample. :love

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my Rose of Sharon, which now has seedless but flowering varieties, btw. I get a forest of Rose of Sharon in the bed by the garage every year. I weed them out best in the early spring when we get a lot of rain. Just pull them out and throw them on the lawn. Trees mostly do NOT rehydrate and regrow, so they get mulched up with the mower to feed the lawn. Otherwise I have to dig them out.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Worst garden my neighbor has ever had this late in the year. Normally on weeding 3 or 4, Saturday finished weeding #1. Straw is down but pitiful......have eaten peas, lettuce, and now green beans.
IMG_1825.JPG
IMG_1826.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG
I took paint brush and glysophate to grass in edges. Hope it kills it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Worst garden my neighbor has ever had this late in the year. Normally on weeding 3 or 4, Saturday finished weeding #1. Straw is down but pitiful......have eaten peas, lettuce, and now green beans.View attachment 20670 View attachment 20671View attachment 20672
I took paint brush and glysophate to grass in edges. Hope it kills it.

Tell your neighbor that the size of your, oops, I mean his plants, beat the socks off mine. My Painted Mtn. corn is about the same height as his sweet corn though. :)

Latest posts