What Did You Do In The Garden?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
If they are 3', it looks like the paths are 2'.

I'm not sure who would need or much appreciate a bed smaller than 3'. 5' is a real stretch for me - nothing I'm interested in doing.

In one garden I had, it worked out that I could have my usual 4' beds if the paths were only 18". Beds with no frames -- I could layout those measurements, then I'd walk on the edges of the beds all summer. I just could not keep my feet confined to an 18" path.

Steve

I guess the paths are kind of wide. I do not have a lot of room, so not sure I will do 2 feet, but it sure looks nice.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ducks4you it was some nice thunder and lightning storms here too last night. we needed a good rain. :)

i have 14 more buckets of wood ashes to put around and that is a dusty job at times. it was too windy yesterday to even attempt, plus we had to run errands early in the day anyways so by the time we got home i was mostly done anyways.

i did have to spend a bit more time plugging up the groundhog den again. it didn't get all the way through this time (i keep pounding more sticks in the ground as it tries to go through it takes it more time and i can catch it.

yesterday i just had a little bit of dirt to move back and compacted it back down and then put in more stakes and more thorn bush branches to give it some deterrence.

today i walked back there and startled it, i did have my air-gun with me but it moved pretty fast so i didn't get a good shot at it. hope i startled it away for at least a few more days.

we didn't get fencing the other day, store didn't have 6ft fence and i already know that 5ft isn't tall enough. i may run around today to pick some up along with some stakes, while we have the truck.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aliza and I planted her little garden today. Mounded up hay in the middle of the garden to make a 3 tater broad row to plant some spuds into. Joel added a goodly supply of grass clippings to that, but I cautioned him about adding more once the taters had vined up and out. He'll pile it in one corner of the garden until it cools down and I'll transfer it to that mound little bits at a time.

Then we planted a small row of sweet onions...that soil under the hay is so soft, black and rich from all the wood chips mulched down under there. A small row of green onions. Two yellow squash, 8 half runner beans to grow over the garden gate trellis. Then the rest of the garden was seeded to wild flowers and zinnias.

It oughta look like a hot mess come August! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe a hot mess then but she will have wonderful memories of it with you. Envious, I am.

She's truly a blessing, Seed. She helped plant every little thing, stuck with it and marveled over it all. She called the half runner beans "magic" beans. She thought the green onion sets looked like little pumpkins...said, "Awwwww, this one is so cute! I'm going to marry this one." Never had such fun planting a garden than I do with that little girl.

She loves to garden with gran...I count myself blessed beyond measure that these little girls want to spend time with Gran, but especially that this one is so interested in growing food with us.

I butchered two problem chickens day before yesterday and she, as always, wanted to help...she's been helping with that since she could walk. She exclaimed, "Ganny, I want to kill chickens with you every day!" I had to laugh, thinking what all the bauble headed animal huggers out there would think about a 4 yr old so indoctrinated into the country life that she wants to kill chickens every day. :gig

100_0570.JPG
100_5412.jpg
100_4938.jpg
100_0575.JPG

Shucking corn with great grandma...her "mammy".
100_4753.jpg

Has her own tractor now and really knows how to make it move. It has its own radio!
100_5864.JPG

Took her for a day of pulling invasive specie plants off state park lands...she likes to do pretty much anything "Ganny" likes to do.
100_0578.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tilled the entire far west end of the garden where the tractor guy turned around during his tilling. One can now walk through that area without falling down ... unless one is on the paths. Ha! I didn't till all the paths ... have to get back to that or the soil in the beds will be sloughing off into those holes.

I'd like to move some soil out of the paths into the beds but I'm running out of time and energy. Used to be my practice throughout the gardens but this tractor dependency has changed it to only what I can get to.

Have only tested the sprinkler lines - no drowned mice were swept out when I pulled the end plugs. I put on one valve for the hose (hoses: 210 feet, end to end) so that DW could run the watering wand over the onions, cabbage, broccoli, etc.

Those poor plants were lying on their sides from yesterday's strong winds! It sprinkled and, even, hailed for a few minutes but that ground is quite dry.

I think Sunday and Monday had better have some more thorough irrigation so that I can get on a regular schedule.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
She is cute she must love chicken dinner LOL

Not too awful much....she's not a big eater and picky, so only certain chicken on certain days, you know. :rolleyes: She likes the broth more than the chicken.

She just likes doing anything with Granny, so that translates into loving whatever Gran does.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I turned dirt for a bed. It is about 20 feet like and 3 feet wide and a foot wide walk path. It took about an hour, but I still have some raking and adding manure. I may get my whole garden turned. I am thinking of doing something like the picture. Are these rows in the picture 2 feet or 3 feet wide? Would 3 feet be a better choice? View attachment 26042
That's a beautiful garden! Wish I had that much space. So jealous but in a kind way. :) Love to hear that you are able to do all that work.

Mary

Latest posts