What Did You Do In The Garden?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Putting out replacement hot peppers today, replacing mine that got hit by a cut worm. Added a few different varieties whilst I was at it, just for funzies.

Also putting out some annual flowers in the front flower beds. The usual impatiens and portulaca, as they seem to do very well in our setup. Also put some petunias in a container for the front porch.

Threw some epsom salts down on the plants in the garden and will plant some more half runner beans and yellow squash, possibly arrange a place to plant the remainder of the seed potatoes...goes against my grain to toss them when I know they could make a mess of spuds.

Sweet onions are looking good, tomatoes are doing well...some are blooming, some needed suckered. All this heat has slowed down the growth of my greens under the low tunnels..all except the Asian greens, which grow like they are on steroids.

Hope to make another low tunnel today or early next week so I can get it planted too.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
rain delay for the morning. picked a few strawberries yesterday. took a few pictures. have to get them off the camera and see how they look. sometimes they look ok on the camera and then when put up on the computer they aren't in focus well enough.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday and today weeded, planted more lettuce, onions, which should have been planted a long time ago, 6 more tomatoes. Put some squash seeds in, filled in empty spaces of pole beans, planted more cucumbers, beets, radishes. Thinking of taking out the cherry bushes. They have not produced for last 2 years, the wild plum trees are not doing anything either and widen the garden 12 feet or so. Too many weeds between the trees and bushes and starting to put too much shade.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finished planting the gladiola. There were a lot!

This must not be a very good place for growing these plants. I remember talking to a commercial grower about depletion. He said that it shouldn't be happening but too many of the plants have just an abundance of tiny corms at the end of each season so there would be about 10% fewer plants for the next season after storage. Or, there were tiny plants in great numbers but unable to produce flowers. I blamed our rocky soil.

DW enjoyed shopping for additions each year. After lifting the corms in fall 2017, it was obvious that she wasn't needing to do that. Our planting out yesterday confirmed it! They had an abundance of irrigation water in last year's extremely dry growing season. Growing in the same gravel as usual.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Corn and okra are up! I bought and planted about 30 tomatoes, 18 romas 1 sugar sweet cherry and the rest beefsteak. Spring arrived really late, but the stores and their garden centers already decided when they would roll up their vegetable selling carpets. When I needed to buy vegetables yesterday really only Menard's had a selection.
I have been digging out dandelions, and digging and cutting burdock and pulling and burning pennygrass and whatever that weed is that produces tons of seeds on long stalks that turn brown--please tell me how to search for the names, bc I keep getting sites that won't identify but want you to buy something--and piling and burning them.
ToMORROW I will be breaking in my new field boots (equestrian) buy wearing those to apply ground clear and D-2 to those many places where the burdock is threatening to go to seed next month.
Pictures tomorrow...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
search for the names

There are two that I use here:
https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/iding-that-weed.19298/

@journey 11 recently showed us a kinda wow! website:
https://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/idd-thanks-little-white-flower-annual.21835/#post-322571

Today, in the garden, I set up the pea trellis and the first layer of string, did some weeding, and drug some hoses around. Then, told the neighbor about the demise of the 3 marmots. They thanked me and their little dog cuddled up to me to be pet.

:) Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The garden is starting to grow nicely. The last few nights I have just been hoeing weeds and fine tuning the soaker system. The bush beans are disappointing I thinking of turning the soil and replanting . The broccoli is just about ready to start harvesting, the carrots finally came up and have a ways to go yet before they are strong growers. The corn is about 6”-8” tall and growing fast ,so are the potatoes. Also thinned the kohlrabi and started on the black Spanish radishes. Going to keep fighting the weeds until the garden gets a little bigger then we will straw mulch it , and that will cut back on the weeding big time .

Latest posts