What Do You Wake To ?

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wake up to traffic every weekday morning. The guys that have to be at work at 7 AM go barreling by at 6:30 in their pickup trucks, loud mufflers blasting. Oh, and the big semi rigs, applying their jake breaks just because they can.
I'll be glad when we get new windows; I think a lot of that sound will be blocked out.

Yes they will:), our backyard backs on a 4 lane highway, since we put in our new windows it's been a lot quieter in the house, outside by the back fence we have to yell to be heard. When we moved here in 65 it was a two lane, over the years it got to be bumper to bumper traffic. Then they put in the parkway bypass, traffic and noise was considerably less but it's back up to bumper to bumper during the day again. Last year we finally got traffic lights at our corner, much easier to get out on the highway without putting your life in jeopardy now.

Annette

ChickenGrass

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On the weekend I just wake up on my own,
But outside my window I can hear the 7 breeding roosters
Crowing. They are all different breeds and have hens for their breeds.
Sometimes I hear the ducks going "quack quack" too :)

On weekdays I wake up to the alarm on my phone :th

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I have to use an alarm clock to wake up early, I use one that has an alarm that sounds like chimes, as from a church. It is startling, as if I fell asleep during a wedding or something. I suppose it's better than the BEEP BEEP BEEP, but not much better.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we have to get up at a specific time, I set the alarm which is an annoying BEEP BEEP BEEP. Otherwise, I sleep until I wake up, which can be 4 AM or 8 AM depending on what I did the day before and how tired I am. ;)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Panting... lots of heavy panting.
The dogs sleep in my room and about 15mins before the alarm goes of, they start pacing and panting.
This weekend I pulled up the carpet in my bedroom and now I have toenails on wood with panting.
2lxwef8[1].gif

... better than silence and no one caring if I ever get up or not though ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do we fall asleep to? Just about anything ;).

This all relates to NyBoy's dad not keeping track of his car and @canesisters 's dinner of chicken and waffles. Age you know, with the dad, my dad, too, and now, the son ... ;) Edit: & @so lucky staying off the road after she has had a sleeping pill!

Full stomach, anytime of the day -- I just had breakfast of oatmeal with raisins and 2 nice oranges :). I swear, yesterday I fell asleep after all 3 meals. It was snowing during 2 and dark after the third. What can I say?

Debbie's after-the-show story made me think to look up tryptophan. You know how we say that Thanksgiving turkey makes us sleepy. We all know that this is pretty close to being a myth but what was it about tryptophan ??? Here you go: tryptophan & turkey.

Turns out that turkey doesn't have any special amount of tryptophan, no more than Debbie's chicken strips. Besides, it's the combination with carbohydrates that ultimately triggers the melatonin in the brain and the drowsiness sets in ... zzz

What?!! Anyway, oats has more tryptophan than turkey and it has the carbs ... zzz zz ..!

I was reading y'day about delirium. Yeah. It isn't quite dementia and isn't always a result of illness. Olde people are prone to it but often recognize that they aren't thinking straight and try to cover it up. I know, it's sad but it isn't usually persistent and thinking clearly isn't necessarily lost. There are ways to limit this thinking disorder.

I wonder how closely related it is to the sleepiness that goes along so closely with age. I question that idea about olde people needing less sleep. I think that they just tend to spread it out more through a 24 hour day! Gets difficult to focus. Moving around but not running on all cylinders ... tryptophan ... forget why you came in the room ... forget why you got outta bed zzzz

digitS'

When you are old and gray and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire, take down this book and slowly read, and dream of the soft look your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep. ~ WB Yeats

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I absolutely have to get up at a certain time, a little battery run alarm clock...but that is rare. I am usually awakened by a full bladder! :D

Sometimes the rooster will see fit to station himself directly under my window and give a loud crow, but not often...he's usually done with his daily crowing by daybreak and the coop is far away, so his noise doesn't awaken me.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a friend who could wake automatically at the same time every morning without an alarm. I always envied that! (She lived alone, btw.)

I have such an unreliable bedtime anymore. My schedule is so hectic. I hate being out of the house past dinner time, but often am. Sleep is an enigma to me. My FitBit says I am tortured most nights, whether by the sudden appearance of little people at my bedside or my husband's snoring. I have always been a light sleeper. My best friend in high school, her parents had separate bedrooms and I marveled at that...now I understand! Now I want one too!

On toward morning I get my deepest sleep. Then I am a zombie and harder to wake. DH sets his alarm half an hour before he HAS to get up and tortures me with snooze several times. I have a radio alarm on my bedside table set to KLOVE. That goes off ten minutes before my cellphone alarm which is on the charger on the dresser and forces me to get out of the bed. It starts with a soft guitar music and if that doesn't wake me, it goes into something louder and more obnoxious. I slink from the bed just long enough to grab it and dart back under the covers, hitting snooze one more time, then my husband's cellphone alarm goes off on it's final round, full on klaxons. That's it, time to get up! I hate it. Wish I could have just one alarm, rung once--no snooze and spring from the bed energized and eager to face the day. :tongue

Latest posts