What I Learned by Quitting Coffee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That link between black licorice and root beer is interesting. I like them both.
I also like anise. We used to strip the seeds from the plants that grew wild along our walking home from school route.
I didn't know about the uric acid content of licorice. But that is probably true of just the licorice made from actual licorice and not the anise substitute, right?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So @Smart Red , you stand accused of self-indulgence.

Your testimony before this court highly suggests sneaking tidbits from your grandchildren's bowls and using a pillow at your back in a chair.

Bailiff ...

Steve
:D

No, @so lucky -- nothing is real. ssshhhh
Self-indulgence? Guilty as charged. Although in depressing times I fear it is more self-distructive than self-indulgent.

Sneaking tidbits from my grandchildren's bowls? Innocent as charged. My grands have their own supply of foods/treats at grandma's house that are at the tip of their tongues and the bottom of my tastes. Now that school has resumed, there are more foods (purchased for them) going stale and being tossed. More foods in individual packaging so it lasts from weekend to weekend.

Besides, digitS', "everything at Grandma's house is Grandma's". Should someone covet a special treat, well, everything is mine and I share, so they all must share "my" treats. Therefore, there can't be grandchildren's bowls; only my bowls, filled with my things, that I share with them when they want. Sneaking tidbits? I think not!

As for using a pillow at my back, I wasn't aware that was a capital offense. Never-the-less, I am probably the only one at the house who doesn't find a pillow for their chair. My TV watching comfort is a captain's chair from the kitchen set and wood throughout. I dislike the big cushy recliner DH claims as too soft and, although my Gypsy likes it, I find Great-Grandma's rocker cushion too soft as well. Mine is the easiest chair in the house I have found to get up from and down into at my esteemed age.

Black licorice: I am the only one who likes it around here. No need to hide it, ration it, or buy it just for myself except as a rare treat. A&W Root Beer: according to the grands it is THE ONLY ROOT BEER, a sign of grandma's messing with their heads as babies, but sugar is sugar and I much prefer the taste (and after-taste) of cold water.

I should sentence myself to time cleaning up the garden, but once again I procrastinate. . . .

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree A&W is " the only root beer" I still might have my A&w root beer tee shirt from high school Their slogan for when it became available in NY was NOW NY HAS EVERYTHING

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
So does anyone besides me remember when A & W root beer came in the frosty glass mug at the drive-in restaurant?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I only saw that on the TV :old Dad didn't believe in going out to eat...except rarely/occasionally. It was a tiny fast food burger joint in Kansas City....with a Scottish Lass in a kilt dancing...as their logo/mascot. Oh, and a Zesto soft serve ice cream cone in the heat of summer ...sometimes.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So does anyone besides me remember when A & W root beer came in the frosty glass mug at the drive-in restaurant?

We got to go occasionally as a special treat. It wasn't on our regular route to anywhere so when we were driving nearby I hoped and hoped that dad would treat us. It was such a letdown when he drove right past and I watched it disappear from sight.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I came across this article recently about licorice. Makes for an interesting foot note.
Now, I have learned something else, by almost quitting coffee. Thank You, @moxies_chickienuggets !

Of course. Their 5 ¢ mug was almost as big as their 10 ¢ mug!

I remember the first A & W drive-in I ever saw. Just like I remember the first pizza parlor.

Steve

Latest posts