What I Learned by Quitting Coffee

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It really works out well when other people have Mary's opinion. Less competition. :D Around my house the guys will only eat it as a last resort, so I don't have to carry a stick with me to the cupboard to defend my licorice stash.
I distract them with the red.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My mother loved black licorice too. I can't eat it. I think the taste is a little like root beer, which I can tolerate, but never seek out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Root beer ..

. was a great find for me as a kid.

Steve
who didn't like colas

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red ,

Do you have a food or drink treat?

I'm just as pleased as punch when DW gets licorice. :). Something else that seems to bother my stomach if I have too much.

Steve
If you saw me you would know I have no problem with foods. That I don't like chocolate doesn't mean I never eat it, just that it's one of the last things I would choose. I really, really prefer fresh fruits and veggies, but pizza is easier to prepare and store. With unlimited funds and a personal cook I could definitely eat healthy. Even living within walking distance of my grocery store would be a plus, but it's about 12 miles each way. On my own, it's far too often eating out (DH's request) or eating wrong.

My favorite drink is water. There is nothing I would consider a drink treat worth walking across the street for, much less paying extra for. Occasional tea or lemonade, but only if someone else offers it. It's not worth the effort for myself when cold well water is in the fridge.

I, too, like licorice. It is probably my favorite type of candy. It doesn't like me all that much, either, but a bit now and then finds its way home with me. Licorice has the same "GOUT" producing chemical as rhubarb -- uric acid -- and my levels are high so that limits my licorice intake choice.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Root beer ..

. was a great find for me as a kid.

Steve
who didn't like colas

Okay, so I like A & W Root Beer. Probably because I had my first job as a car hop there. I often do have a case at the house -- mostly for DH and the grands's floats -- but next to the water, it's a much lower second choice. I never considered that it probably comes from the same "family" type as licorice, but you're probably right.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was trying to find what the medicinal properties of licorice are...there are many....but the article I read said the licorice you buy as candy doesn't have any real licorice in it; it is flavored with anise. Bummer. Is nothing real?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So @Smart Red , you stand accused of self-indulgence.

Your testimony before this court highly suggests sneaking tidbits from your grandchildren's bowls and using a pillow at your back in a chair.

Bailiff ...

Steve
:D

No, @so lucky -- nothing is real. ssshhhh

Latest posts