What I Learned by Quitting Coffee

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband and I made a deal. I would quit coffee if he quit smoking. We did it for 2 months. Then his work sent him to texas, and I noticed on our bank statement he was purchasing stuff regularly at the gas station, and the total I happened to know was precisely the amount of a pack of cigarettes and two rockstars.

I called him out for cheating, went to starbucks, and have had coffee every single day since.

He's now switched from cigarettes to a vaporizer, but I haven't switched up my beloved coffee at all...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Boy!

It's National Coffee Day!

Drinking so little coffee these days, it's often the canned kind. I'll get it steaming hot. ... getting up early and waiting for 4 hours before the first sip ... I have another 30 minutes!

Now that there has been 2 frosts, this mug won't be on the road or missed entirely ... Maybe, I'll go back and lie down for half an hour.

Don't you wish you were retired ?

Maybe ;)

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Coffee. I drank it for years. Then DH had to stop back in 2012, because it was giving him heartburn bad. So I stopped too, to support him.
I realized, while taking a cross country road trip, that drinking coffee actually helped my alertness and cognizance. I went back to drinking 3 cups a day, for 4 to 5 days a week. It also helps me increase pushing fluids, after having a kidney stone.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I had quit coffee then I wouldn't be sitting here unhappily looking at that mug. I forgot to pick up groceries on the way home yesterday so there is no half-n-half, no milk, and not even the canned whip cream that is so good for emergencies like this. The almond milk I resorted to is not cutting it. :(

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee NYboy, I wish you had reminded me earlier, I forgot all about ice cream! And it's French vanilla too! I bought a coffee on the way to work, but it's not the same.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooohh! That would've been good!

But, I like good coffee just about any olde way. If the almond milk isn't doing it, I might make especially strong coffee (for me) and add more almond milk ヅ. Or, just leave anything else out.

@moxies_chickienuggets , it's a great reward. I gotta pay attention to that mug of hot Joe as I'm carrying it out the door ... or, is it leading me?

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I mostly drink coffee as a vehicle for the cream. As Kid#2 says, I take half and half literally. The worst part of this morning was that I had made a pot of my favorite spendy specialty coffee that I ration out to myself sparingly and didn't even get to enjoy it. Rats.:\

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
How desperate am I for my morning jumpstart?
When the coffee maker at work was out of commission - I invented this!
coffee.jpg

K-cup with the foil peeled back and a hole in the bottom & paperclips. Slowly pour hot water in, coffee drips out.
The world can start spinning again now, thanks.

Last edited:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How desperate am I for my morning jumpstart?
When the coffee maker at work was out of commission - I invented this!
View attachment 9448

:lol: .. And people spend hundreds on a machine, when all they need is a few paper clips and a creative mind! Ingenious! I probably would have left work for an emergency... and came back with coffee. :D

The first thing I think about in a power outage is, where is my camp coffee pot and we better have propane for the grill! :rolleyes:

Latest posts