WR's 2014 Fall Garden

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks all. The kohlrabi (along with carrots & a few radish) were used to make 'Kohl-Slaw' which will be our side salad tonight. The broccoli will be steamed. Yummm!

KohlSlaw_120314.jpg

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:drool Your slaw :drool makes my soup and sandwich look pretty sad.:hit:hit:hit

It just looks so delicious! I've never tried slaw-ing my kohlrabis. They get into the house, but never get past the knife and salt shaker. It is one treat DH and I would try to keep a secret from each other. Just so yummy!

Steamed broccoli -- THE best of all worlds and healthy, too. I do mine in bamboo steamer baskets.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup... that does it @w_r_ranch .... View attachment 5421
I've got to figure out how to move my beloved hilly VA land to somewhere in south cetntral Texas
Cane......central Texas has some beautiful hills. The scenery is beautiful! East Texas is forest and farm land, northeast Texas has some hilly areas, but not like central Texas.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have never had a kohlrabi, what do they taste like? what time of year do you plant yours? I guess I will have to get some seed and try some.

They taste similar to cabbage. They are also great fresh, roasted or fried like hash browns/home fries. They are a very versatile vegetable.

We plant them in the fall garden, which goes in early October.

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Pick another broccoli head to accompany our supper tonight. I think tomorrow that I'm going to start harvesting a bunch of them & get them blanched & frozen for later meals as I have a number of them this size. When the 'flowerettes' start getting out of hand, I'll make broccoli soup & freeze it too!!!

Broccoli_120614.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
They taste similar to cabbage. They are also great fresh, roasted or fried like hash browns/home fries. They are a very versatile vegetable.

We plant them in the fall garden, which goes in early October.

I've always wondered what people do with kohlrabi. I have never ever tried it. I don't think I've seen it at the supermarket either. That slaw looks really good.

And that is one picture perfect head of broccoli. Good job! :thumbsup