WR's 2014 Fall Garden

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm on the western edge where the hill country meets the desert. WR, I suspect you must be south of the Alamo.

upload_2014-12-6_16-50-5.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary! Texas is very big.

There are miles and miles of miles and miles but, there is a lot of variety, too.

Pine forests, nice beaches, "bad lands" in the west ... I don't know what the panhandle looks like. ... huge cities. Alpine! They don't have alpine.

Steve

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, we have it all... seashore, mountains, hills, deserts, canyons, mesas, prairies, savannahs, swamps, etc. Many people that lived here their entire lives have never seen all that it has to offer... And Steve is right it is a big state, it is a 2 day drive from border to border (N to S & E to W).

Steve, we have an alpine (although not exactly in your context). The town of Alpine, in the western part of the state, is pretty nice & the surrounding scenery is spectacular:

AlpineTX.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never knew Texas was this beautiful. I always thought it was just flat boring landscape.

Mary
In the Rio Grande Valley, where I was born, is semi-tropical, LOTS of fruits and vegetables grown there. There is the Gulf Coast, which is miles and miles of ocean front property. :) Yes, there is desert, but why everybody thinks Texas is nothing but desert is beyond me. There are at least 5 different major climate/geographical areas in Texas

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've really only been to Austin and Houston. Galvesten also. Oh, and many many years ago I lived in La Feria, Tx. It was so small that we had to go into Brownsville to shop.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! You made me look!

Is that in your part of Texas, @flowerweaver ? I never got very far south in that corner.

Those 4,475ft at Alpine are kinda up there. And, 32.7° for an average January low, chilly. Still ... what's that 30° North latitude -- about in line with New Orleans ;)?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Alpine is only an hour from Big Bend National Park and about 4 hours from El Paso ... thanks for that little adventure into geography, via Google and Wikipedia.

Badlands is an interesting idea. I think I understand that the idea is that there are so many miles between human settlements that venturing into badlands might be a bad idea ... Grandfather moved his family from eastern Oklahoma to the Rio Grande valley in New Mexico. I think I might prefer to be lost in southern Utah but I enjoyed seeing a little part of all that country :).

The garden? @so lucky , cabbage worms can be my problem, they have to compete with the aphids, but first come the fleabeetles, when the plants are small. There usually have to be measures taken.

The kitchen? When I was a kid, carrot & raisin salad was my least favorite! I liked carrots and raisins but it took me forever to realize that I also liked mayo. It was the combination ...

Kohlrabi is easy to grow if the aforementioned bugs leave it alone and it doesn't split. If you go to a Thai restaurant, you can get a very similar salad to W_R's (don't think about asking for any raisins in it :rolleyes:). Kohlrabi is a good addition.

A little oil, fish sauce, lime juice, hot pepper, and garlic in it - what a change of pace!!

Steve

Latest posts