WR's 2018 Spring Garden

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's the monthly update:

We've been pretty busy here... I still have to finish the mulching, but the main part of the garden is complete & both the cantaloupe & watermelon are now up. I need to replant more radish as we have eaten the first planting.

Garden_042718.jpg

The cilantro is just starting to take off.

Cilantro_042718.jpg

The green beans are doing well & have started climbing the trellis.

Green_Beans_042718.jpg

Both the green peppers & the jalapenos are behind in their normal growth due to the cooler temps this spring.On the plus side, the marigolds are doing great, LOL!!!

Green_Peppers_042718.jpg

Jalapenos_042718.jpg

The leeks are really putting on. We've never grown them before but after sampling 4 of them with a steak dinner earlier this week, we will definitely plant them again.

The onions were looking good a week ago, but now they're starting to look like they are close to finishing... No 'lunkers' this year I'm sorry to say.​

Leeks_042718.jpg

Onions_042718.jpg

Both the Lima beans & the soybeans suffered a setback about 2 weeks ago due to couple of cold fronts accompanied by 30 MPH winds (their leaves all had windburn).

Lima_Beans_042718.jpg

Soybeans_042718.jpg

The potatoes appear to be doing well... The tops are full & bug free so I'm hopeful that the tubers will be good as well.

Potatoes_042718.jpg

To be Continued...

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Like the Lima beans, the spaghetti squash & the cucumbers also suffered some wind damage... but they are bouncing back nicely.

Squash_Cukes_042718.jpg

The tomatoes are a little behind due to the cooler nighttime temps... They will be happier when we start getting 70 degree nights.

Tomatoes_042718.jpg

And lastly, the peas... They look healthy & are just starting to climb the trellis. We've never grown them here, so we're not sure what to expect.

Peas_042718.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is not one hole in any leaves on those pole beans! Your garden always looks so perfect. I just showed your pics to my husband and he said you certainly know what you are doing, haha.

How do you amend your soil?

Mary

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This morning I harvested the onions (since they have started falling over) & laid them out on the tables in the party barn to cure. Then re-mulched the row so its ready for the fall planting.

Onions_Curing_050518.jpg

Last edited:

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, you harvest very early.

We planted them mid-February as they like the cool temps, Mary. At temperatures above 75 degrees, tuber production slows & when temps reach 85 degrees, it basically stops. We are in the 90s this week so it was time to pull them.

I have to finish pulling the rest of them tomorrow so I can reform the row (for fall) & re-mulch it before the watermelons overrun that area.

Last edited:

Latest posts