Your boring/interesting/exciting Weather!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember that Thistle' has experience on the northern California coast. My aunt who lived in Crescent City always talked about oozing into traffic, oozing from one lane to another :p. When everything is covered with 2" of rain and mud tends to invade paved roadways, we come to understand the use of the word "ooze" for "ease" :D.

Of course it is the same around here as Marshall describes. I am so aware of slopes when the road conditions are icy like this. Never even think about that during much of the year. We were so very lucky that the freezing rain yesterday amounted to probably less than a 1/10th of an inch
cantlook.gif

Those drivers had better be ready for more of it, Thistle'! The Weather Service says that a "wintry mix" should be falling about sundown. It will be about 20 and time for their commute home . . .

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience down there is only of the visitor type Steve. When I talk to my dad he is perfectly happy to deal with ooozing rather than sliding. He said he did his time in snow country and is glad to have it behind him!

I'm pretty happy that in the winter I can pretty much choose when I want to be out on the road. I do get anxious when it's nasty and my family has to be driving. The natural conditions are hazardous enough, then throw a few knuckleheads into the mix and you have the potential for a real mess.

Not saying that the knuckleheads were MY family members...it's always the other guy isn't it? :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh, oh!

I'd run down there and cover it with something, Wendy. 'Cept . . .

my winter shoes are frozen to the boards of deck, outdoors.

:rolleyes: Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, along the Ohio River valley. My ridge is the second highest point in our county, so we have a pretty nice view from here.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful pictures Journey! We got the ice too. Better throw an extra log on the fire, we have a nasty cold snap coming early next week.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You West Virginians inspired me to google map your state on satellite image. That looks like it's all appalachia, hills, ridges, and the most luscious shades of greens. Everywhere are fields, gardens, forests, and what looks like replanted forests, the trees in vague rows. Got curious what was at that northernmost point of the panhandle west of Pennsylvania. There is some kind of old looking waterworks in the river there, and it looks like the river is evolving slowly southward there.

A most beautiful place! West Virginians, make a special pocket just for your camera and take it with you at all times to photo your state! It looks as though your state is preserving its beauty from the satellite view. Keep up the good work WV!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once again, with no temperatures above freezing for a week, we have very dense fog hanging over a snow covered landscape.

I think this would be the equivalent to the London "Pea Soup" Fog of a previous century if there was a few chimneys belching coal smoke in this valley. Thankfully, the air pollution isn't as bad as it was, even 30 years ago when tears would stream down my face after spending a few hours outdoors anywhere near the populated areas. Wood smoke at that time - it seems that the Rocky Mountain coal was left on the other side of the hill then and, these days, is passing right thru on its way to China.

The sun was out briefly yesterday afternoon and did a little melting on the south sides of things. I was noticing how the trees are frost-covered when looking at them from the north but were showing their colors on the south sides. True with the dense evergreens but also the deciduous and it added interest to even the small, bare twigs. Once again this morning, they are all a more uniform frosty grey. Something almost like "rime" will form over time if the hoar frost stays for days & days. I'm not sure if our "slightly warmer" forecast will allow that, however. Don't need the weather service to recognize the dense fog and air stagnation, however.

Looking for a breeze . . . . . . . .

Steve

Latest posts