Your boring/interesting/exciting Weather!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well I have plenty of snow cover! So far it hasn't gotten to zero yet, in fact the coldest temp at my house has been 10*. I believe Steve has been colder in his area. Those low temps with no snow cover can be the kiss of death for a lot of perennials, I hope you don't lose any Journey!

Steve, I had to look up "sublimation of snow cover" to understand what you meant. The USGS has a good site that explained it well.
Journey, they have a water cycle poster for kids there that you can print out, might be a good visual when you get there in Ava's science studies. :)

Well, I learned something today, guess I can go back to bed. :p

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yea, I first noticed sublimation when I lived in Korea. Didn't know what it was called then, but knew it happened. Ice sort of shrinks without melting. Evaporates directly without liquifying. Maybe some scientists find some micro time that its in a liquid stage, but not noticeable to the normal experience.

46.2 fahrenheit right now, and just before sunrise it began a soft drizzle.

Hard to believe, but this time of the year in 1989 in Montana we had a super cold front that swept down, snowed ice on us, and then the sky cleared for that kind of extra chilling where the heat, so called heat, dissipates up out through the atmosphere and causes it to get continually colder. The roads turned to layers of black ice, a dear friend rolled her car, survived, but passed on later in february from her diabetes. The temperatures that january dipped down to 44 below, not counting wind chil, and the wind was howling. Old timers were talking about how it was just like 1949.

And here it is 46.2 above. I look at the lake, and well remember how cold cold can be. Almost feel like taking a quick dip in the lake just to remind myself how pleasant this weather is, when dry! Naw! I think I'll remain dry!

I told my boss about this forum and sent him the url, so everybody...
...joke around with each other extra good!!! My boss likes good jokes! Those guys tackle each other nfl tackles joking with each other! I survived several buckin bronco ski doo rides...maybe that's why they keep me! Ha!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Honestly Marshall, I have been trying to think of some joke about the current weather but nothing has come to me!

There is a little weak sunshine today but a small snowstorm is supposed to be moving in by about 4pm. That is real good news in my opinion. The frost is already disappearing from the deciduous trees with a little warmer temperature but, importantly, some air movement!!!

The "weird" news is that there may be 33 and rain mid-day Friday. 33 will be welcome since it has now been 2 weeks since there was a high temperature that warm but with roadways frozen - Rain?!

Steve

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
71 here today, supposed to hit 74ish tomorrow.
Then it's going to cool down a bit for a few days before reaching 70s again next week for a couple days, and then cool down again. Wacky weather.

A beautiful day today, for sure ... wish I could be outside instead of stuck here at "work". :)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm on the eastern plains of Colorado, SE of Denver, Zone 5. It's 58 degrees here at this moment, after 3 p.m.. So far, this "winter" is much like last year's ... warm and dry. It's on the way continuing this same way: last summer it was our hottest and dryest in a long time.

We're desparate for rain and snow as our water table is very low.

Anybody want to send us some moisture?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greenegz's you can have all mine! Really, take it please!! No need to hurry... it is going to be 12 below zero tonight- not like it is going to melt!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Well I have plenty of snow cover! So far it hasn't gotten to zero yet, in fact the coldest temp at my house has been 10*. I believe Steve has been colder in his area. Those low temps with no snow cover can be the kiss of death for a lot of perennials, I hope you don't lose any Journey!

Steve, I had to look up "sublimation of snow cover" to understand what you meant. The USGS has a good site that explained it well.
Journey, they have a water cycle poster for kids there that you can print out, might be a good visual when you get there in Ava's science studies. :)

Well, I learned something today, guess I can go back to bed. :p
I'm afraid to go look! I really didn't get time to properly put things to bed this year. Everything outside sort of took the back burner. Housework often takes the back burner too, now that school is on. :p Winterizing my bees this year was make-shift. DH brought home a roll of coal conveyor belt from work, and I cut a section to flop over the hive and down the back for a windbreak. It looks awful, but I think it will work! :lol:

Sublimation...why the ice cubes in my freezer shrink before I get around to using them. :cool: I'll go look for that chart. Thanks!

ETA: Miss Daisy, I think we'll all be coming to visit you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The map on the Original Post for this thread, continues to update with some interesting weather for today!

Here is the Chicago, Illinois forecast (you can click the image to go to Wunderground.com). Look at Today's forecast compared to Thurday's!

Steve

Latest posts