Your Other Hobby (s)?

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My current money pit/obsession...er, hobby, is refurbishing the 1955 Aljoa travel trailer we got a few months ago. We made good progress on cutting out water damaged framing and rebuilding it, and running new electrical lines this weekend. Forward progress!

image.jpg

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know that I have what other folks would call hobbies...I was brought up to think that hobbies were more for the idle rich, but I've since learned that it's a hobby if you are doing something you like and you do that often.

That encompasses pretty much most of my daily activities and life, so hard to make a list. God has given me the sort of life that is something I love and that I do often, naturally, so I guess I still can't call anything a hobby...it's just life.

I have a homesteading kind of life and most of my activities are encompassed within and revolve around that, but I also have a servant kind of life all entwined in that as well. I like serving other folks in many different ways and I get great enjoyment out of that...God designed me for that kind of life, I guess.

I enjoy work of all kinds...yeah, I know...that's a dirty word to a lot of folks out there but I can't help it. I like to work at things, many things...building projects, cleaning, caring for another's physical needs(nurse, mother, grandma, daughter, massage therapist...all of these jobs all fulfill that part of me)...my idea of a romantic date was building fence or putting up hay with a fella, if that gives you any idea. I love to mow, trim weeds, split firewood, iron clothing, make bread, etc., etc. So, working is one of my hobbies.

I love farming...I guess you could say it's my passion. Growing things, producing food, caring for the animals, being a good steward of the land...all of those things bring me much joy and I do them often, so another hobby, I'm thinking.

I used to collect some old things but only if I got them for an extreme bargain...it's only fun if you can get an antique without having to pay antique prices. That means going to yard sales, flea markets, dumpster diving, etc. Nowadays I don't do that because I've stopped collecting material things and have started decluttering my life, so one was a hobby I used to have and now I have a new hobby of letting go of the things of this world as much as possible. I find it extremely gratifying to live a smaller and smaller life. Small footprint on the land, small footprint in the home, on this world, etc. Decluttering has become a type of hobby...of the home, of my possession, of my mind and heart. Make it more simple is my credo! :D

I love to create, so I when the notion takes me I love to paint, quilt, make junk into useful or pretty things, interior design, build things, design things, create ergonomic routines and organize things for greater use and function, etc. I usually only like to create nowadays if I'm doing it for someone else, to bring someone joy or to help streamline work routines.

I love frugality and it has become a fun game for me to do things on the cheap, not because I have to, but because it's wise, and a challenge to do. It used to be a have to sort of thing but now I still do it because it just makes too much sense to do otherwise, so I guess that's a hobby too.

I love reading, writing, visiting with folks out on the porch, sitting quietly and talking to God, singing, learning and many other things I wouldn't call a hobby, but rather activities of daily living.

So, you can start to see that I don't exactly have hobbies that I can categorize but rather, I live a life that is one big hobby. I enjoy it all and I do it every single day! :weee

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What I dread id decluttering parents house. Dad grew up during depression threw nothing away, mom was addicted to yard sales.
Been there, done that. In-laws lived in same house for 50 years. YIKES :epOur sons got to help, they both said if we left out house like that they would just toss in a match. :( So I really want to start purging now. I can tame the house, I think, DH gets the garage. HA! (It is a 3 car one, so full of STUFF we can not walk through it. No room for cars.) :rolleyes:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my in-laws is a collector/hoarder of many things, to the point that he doesn't let anyone in his house anymore (no room) and he keeps building/buying houses and garages to store his stuff. He has alienated his kids to the point that, when he dies, they get nothing. They want no part of him or his money. I am wondering who will have the burden of getting rid of his stuff. Not us. His disabled favorite ex-wife?
My idea is to open the doors and put a big "FREE STUFF" sign outside on the sidewalk. DH is considering the possibility, haha.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd do it. Put $$ in trust fund for g'kids. While he is a low life, something good could come out of all this. Probably most will go to dumpster.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've always felt like dying in a house fire would be a logical way to go if one were a hoarder...usually one is overcome by smoke inhalation first, so feeling no pain when the flames arrive. Then, all of one's possessions are burned and will not need "going through" by grieving relatives. Very few burial costs, no dealing with the detritus of another's life, still can sell the land to settle the estate.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think my parent's bought anything new since the 70s. When my mother got sick I wanted to hire a cleaning lady, to come in 2x a week. My mother would not consider it, because she said they steal. I said mom sorry but you really don't have anything worth stealing.

Latest posts