Your Weather, 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather reality isn't quite as cold as forecast. However, living creatures outdoors would not know that. The difference has been the 🌬️

That has moved more Pacific Ocean air in so the 10°f (-12°c) looks like the coldest morning for the week. The wind gusts to 29 mph (47 kph) has really lowered the wind chill. It's, apparently, also increased the chance of snow ☃️.

We will have to see. The kids may not have enough for a snowman on the nearby playground. Things were completely outta hand about 6 weeks ago when they rolled up balls of snow bigger than my lazyboy and then couldn't pile them on one another.

That snow is all gone. The ground is once again frozen. Like 2019-20, I suppose that this will be another winter with much warmer temperatures than average. Warm??? It just hasn't felt that way the last few days ...

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was a 133 car pile up in Fort Worth. We were supposed to go to Odessa this weekend to see the granddaughters, but cancelled. I-20 on a good day is high speed bumper cars, throw in ice and snow and start the body count. No thanks. There was a big wreck on I-20 closer to home also.

Ice everywhere, limbs breaking off trees. The storm came in Thursday night, 3 lightening strikes that shook the house. One blew the top out of a pine tree near the south end of the house. One blew 2 large branches bigger than my thigh off my favorite red cedar tree in the sheep lot that I work the sheep in. The trunk of that tree takes 2 people to reach around. The other blew the top out of a pine tree behind the sheep barn. Sheep have plenty of greenery to eat, ice covered, but green.

Expecting snow tomorrow, Monday and Wednesday. Monday night low is predicted to be anywhere from ZERO to 9 degrees.

A ewe lambed night before last right at dark, I stayed with her until the lamb got on her feet, then I slowly led the ewe using her lamb, to a small pen where they would be alone. Yesterday I had to warm up the lamb 3 times. That made #17, and I have one more ewe to lamb. Have 2 bottle babies in the house, one rejected by his mother, the other was too small and weak to nurse. They are 9 days old and doing fine. I diaper them up and let them have the run of the house. so cute! Lots of work, but they are fun.

The coldest is yet to come, NOT enjoying this!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in SW Washington.... I just measured 9" of virgin snow in the middle of our cul-de-sac. This is the total accumulation of snow from yesterday to 10 am this morning. Temp at 27*. Snow to continue falling until noon tomorrow. The playmates just turned 5 last Monday and had a ball playing in the 4" snow for the first time,( Calif. girls you know ) along with 5 other neighborhood kids sliding on skids and sleds down a neighbor's steeper driveway yesterday . They where like popsicles cold, but faught tooth and nail as their mom brought them in after 5pm, then gave them a hot bath which they then did not want to get out of. Local traffic is now virtually at a standstill with black ice up to a half inch thick under the snow. The Amazon distribution center in Portland,Oregon is closed until noon , but may be closed the the rest of the day( or longer ) as the employees just can't drive to work. :frow:caf

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
that many lightning strikes would have me thinking of putting in a lightning rod on the highest of the trees around. that's a bit too close for comfort.

some of the taller buildings in this area do have lightning rods because everything around here is otherwise so flat that the power lines are the biggest attractors of lightning. for some years the most frequent power outages were from storms hitting the power lines and not from trees or ice or even people running into the power utility poles.

i'm not sure what they've done in recent years but i am glad reliability has improved.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I chipped ice off the car yesterday with a plastic bowl. LOL We went to Walmart for more whole milk for the 2 bottle lambs, more XXL potty pads and I got a frozen cherry pie.

It sleeted last night and the car is white with ice now. On my second cup of coffee, then I’ll suit up in 47 layers of warm clothing and start the boiling water, breaking ice detail. Feed all the animals, a little extra for generating warmth, it will take over 3 hours.

Supposed to snow today and tomorrow. Temps tonight are expected to be anywhere from 9F to -2F. It seems the weather forecasters can’t agree. MY weather forecast is MISERABLE.

Friday it’s supposed to get above freezing. I. Can’t. Wait.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is a Map of all of the current winter weather watch’s warnings and advisories in the U.S.
66543BE5-C889-4A22-911B-4F24D3E01131.jpeg

Latest posts