Your Weather, 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rain?

The nearest weather station has the 2021 year at 3.58 inches short by 1/2 exactly of the normal 7.16 inches.

Too much there, too little here.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather reader said that we've have had a months rain here a few days ago, it has to be at least two months fall by now :D

for us an average month is around 9cm, we've had some periods where we've had 30cm in a few days. i've worked on water scaping the front part of this lot to accept and hold downpours of 6cm with no surface flows running off. past that i've got other places where i try to capture and filter water before it hits any of the drains i've installed so at least there isn't erosion making more gullies, but i have a few problem areas that just aren't going to be fixed easily so they will erode in storms that are worse than the above limits. clay just doesn't soak in water that quickly...

right now we're in another dry spell. i'll have to get out the watering cans again for a few areas i've got planted.

no more overnight frosts in the forecast now for this coming week. i'm not sure i trust this yet to plant any warmer weather things like some early beans i want to try, but we'll see how this next week goes. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
from cold to hot in a week, this is crazy... almost 90F in mid-May? hope the WS is just wrong about this, if not i get to get out the box i made up to screen gravel from dirt and play in the water for an afternoon or two.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Light southeast wind becoming south southeast 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
Wednesday: A chance of showers after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81.
Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 87.
Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88.
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 87.
Sunday: A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 85.
Monday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 79.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, what is happening waaaay down south with @Ridgerunner ?

Is he hunkered down properly (on higher ground ;)) with the threat of flash floods and thunderstorms crashing all around him and his???

(I've already complained about our wind and the potential for some very chilly temperatures ... in the what did you do in the garden thread. We will go from almost 10° above normal to about 10° below normal, essentially, overnight!)

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lake Charles, Louisiana flooded yesterday. They got TWELVE INCHES OF RAIN! Lots of places in southeast Texas flooded too. We got 3” from Sunday at 12:30 PM to Monday at 1:30 PM. We got 3 1/2” last week. Not raining today but will storm all night into tomorrow morning. Flooding in low places here, but we are high and dry.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for asking, Steve. That stuff didn't even get here until about 4:00 this morning. I did wake up when it hit, Pretty heavy rain and it will continue for a while but after the front it's more of a steady rain with isolated spots of heavy rain. How much you get can vary a lot in a fairly short distance. I'm fine and will be. Same for my son that lives a few miles down the road.

Not so with my son that lives in Baton Rouge. A flash flood got him, a nearby creek rose and put 20" in his apartment. Water was up to the door handles of his car. By the time he realized what was happening it was too late to move his car but he did save a lot of stuff in his apartment. That area had 11" of rain in a few hours. No place can handle that much. They are reporting 250 people rescues. It hit hard and fast but I'm not sure how big the actual flooded area was. I don't think it was city wide.

He's off from work until Friday so I'll go up today to bring him and what can be put through the clothes washer and his valuables down here for a couple of days. When he goes back he'll probably take my car. My wife and I can get by with just hers. We are all fully vaccinated, that makes it easier.

Physically he is OK but his life will be pretty disrupted for a while. He is a renter, not an owner, so the building damage and repair is not on him. But where will he live when he goes back? A lot to sort out.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
from cold to hot in a week, this is crazy... almost 90F in mid-May? hope the WS is just wrong about this, if not i get to get out the box i made up to screen gravel from dirt and play in the water for an afternoon or two.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 79. Light southeast wind becoming south southeast 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
Wednesday: A chance of showers after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81.
Thursday: Partly sunny, with a high near 87.
Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 88.
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 87.
Sunday: A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 85.
Monday: A chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 79.
Tomato transplant weather?!?