Your Weather, 2021

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't made it out to the big veggie garden @Gardening with Rabbits and don't see much reason to until it warms up a bit. There will be tomatoes and such to take out then.

It's mid-afternoon and has finally hit 50°f. Closed up completely, the interior of the greenhouse was 55° at noon. I opened it then. I mean, official sunrise was at 5:30 so, over 6 hours of "daylight" and no colder than 44° overnight.

Some things were covered here at home but, even with the elevation almost exactly the same, the plants are more protected by nearby buildings and fences, trees and such. It's always colder (& windier) in the big garden because it's so exposed. Should put up an 8' rock wall on the windward side ;).

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't made it out to the big veggie garden @Gardening with Rabbits and don't see much reason to until it warms up a bit. There will be tomatoes and such to take out then.

It's mid-afternoon and has finally hit 50°f. Closed up completely, the interior of the greenhouse was 55° at noon. I opened it then. I mean, official sunrise was at 5:30 so, over 6 hours of "daylight" and no colder than 44° overnight.

Some things were covered here at home but, even with the elevation almost exactly the same, the plants are more protected by nearby buildings and fences, trees and such. It's always colder (& windier) in the big garden because it's so exposed. Should put up an 8' rock wall on the windward side ;).

Steve
We got to 50 today too, but I built a fire today for the first time in a couple weeks or more. I think it is just me feeling cold. I keep checking and no frost warnings.

Niele da Kine

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hawaii Island aka the 'Big Island' Zone 11b
Rainy season seems about over, we had a whole week without much rain. There was a bit last night so didn't have to water the garden today. The new lettuce is just sprouting so it should be moist and not dry on the top layer otherwise we'd not bother to water it. The temperatures are staying up higher at night, probably in the mid to high sixties (Fahrenheit). The daytime temps are mid to high 70's maybe reaching the low 80's. Although, that's pretty much the usual temperatures for most of the year, it doesn't change much, We're not reaching the winter night time lows of mid-fifties anymore so that's good. I guess we don't have much weather to report around here. The surf isn't very big, either, this week.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

wind breaks can help in arid climates but if it is also a climate that gets too hot in the summer you don't want them too close to the plants if they're also going to reflect heat. you just want them to help keep evaporation down.

here it has been too warm (already having to run the AC :( ) and dry. watering required.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gotten 8 3/4” of rain in less than 2 weeks. Mostly it is a drizzle or mist, just enough to be wet and keep us inside. I’ve gone out to feed animals and it not be raining, only for the bottom to fall out and soak me. Finish outside and go in, change clothes, look outside with nose pressed against the glass trying to remember sunny days........

Creeks and rivers are out of their banks, there is a LOT of water. Lakes are full, dam gates are open to drop lave levels so dams stay safe, flooding downstream.

A cloud burst sent us yet another shower moments ago, sending my 135 pound male Great Pyrenees, Trip, bolting for the porch. He peered in the windows begging to come in and is stretched out in the floor now sleeping. Big quivering drooling lug, gotta love him.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm so glad that last night and this morning we finally picked up enough rain to actually wet the ground a bit. *whew*

before we've had small amounts of rain, but not do all that much in terms of wetting the ground.

all this coming week we have more chances of rain so that is a better trend than where we've been for the past month and a half. :) i'm hoping for a few good soakers spreading over at least a few hours.

i took a picture the other day of the large drainage ditch out back which is barely running (less than a cubic foot per second). normally it will run all season and it rarely gets this low. if i had more time this would be a really good time for me to get in there and do some bank restoration and erosion control getting the dirt and grass out of the middle and move it back to the side where it belongs. alas, there's only one of me and i have other more important things on the list to get done...